May 14, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
According to Tim Mead, the Angels’ vice president of communications, the club has placed outfielder Torii Hunter on the restricted list due to a “personal matter.”
While the club has offered no further comment at this time, an NBC affiliate in Dallas is reporting that Hunter’s 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, was one of five Prosper High School students who were arrested Monday on charges related to a sexual assault.
Four of the students were charged with sexual assault of a child and the fifth is charged with unlawful restraint, according to assistant Prosper police chief Gary McHone. The investigation of the into the alleged sexual assault was reported about a month ago.
It’s not clear when Hunter will rejoin the Angels, but he obviously has other matters than baseball on his mind right now. Ryan Langerhans has been called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his spot on the active roster.
UPDATE: Some supplemental information can be found here.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 32
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 31
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)