May 14, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
According to Tim Mead, the Angels’ vice president of communications, the club has placed outfielder Torii Hunter on the restricted list due to a “personal matter.”
While the club has offered no further comment at this time, an NBC affiliate in Dallas is reporting that Hunter’s 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, was one of five Prosper High School students who were arrested Monday on charges related to a sexual assault.
Four of the students were charged with sexual assault of a child and the fifth is charged with unlawful restraint, according to assistant Prosper police chief Gary McHone. The investigation of the into the alleged sexual assault was reported about a month ago.
It’s not clear when Hunter will rejoin the Angels, but he obviously has other matters than baseball on his mind right now. Ryan Langerhans has been called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his spot on the active roster.
UPDATE: Some supplemental information can be found here.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)