May 14, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
According to Tim Mead, the Angels’ vice president of communications, the club has placed outfielder Torii Hunter on the restricted list due to a “personal matter.”
While the club has offered no further comment at this time, an NBC affiliate in Dallas is reporting that Hunter’s 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, was one of five Prosper High School students who were arrested Monday on charges related to a sexual assault.
Four of the students were charged with sexual assault of a child and the fifth is charged with unlawful restraint, according to assistant Prosper police chief Gary McHone. The investigation of the into the alleged sexual assault was reported about a month ago.
It’s not clear when Hunter will rejoin the Angels, but he obviously has other matters than baseball on his mind right now. Ryan Langerhans has been called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his spot on the active roster.
UPDATE: Some supplemental information can be found here.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 64
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 246
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (246)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (91)