May 14, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
According to Tim Mead, the Angels’ vice president of communications, the club has placed outfielder Torii Hunter on the restricted list due to a “personal matter.”
While the club has offered no further comment at this time, an NBC affiliate in Dallas is reporting that Hunter’s 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, was one of five Prosper High School students who were arrested Monday on charges related to a sexual assault.
Four of the students were charged with sexual assault of a child and the fifth is charged with unlawful restraint, according to assistant Prosper police chief Gary McHone. The investigation of the into the alleged sexual assault was reported about a month ago.
It’s not clear when Hunter will rejoin the Angels, but he obviously has other matters than baseball on his mind right now. Ryan Langerhans has been called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his spot on the active roster.
UPDATE: Some supplemental information can be found here.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)