May 14, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
According to Tim Mead, the Angels’ vice president of communications, the club has placed outfielder Torii Hunter on the restricted list due to a “personal matter.”
While the club has offered no further comment at this time, an NBC affiliate in Dallas is reporting that Hunter’s 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, was one of five Prosper High School students who were arrested Monday on charges related to a sexual assault.
Four of the students were charged with sexual assault of a child and the fifth is charged with unlawful restraint, according to assistant Prosper police chief Gary McHone. The investigation of the into the alleged sexual assault was reported about a month ago.
It’s not clear when Hunter will rejoin the Angels, but he obviously has other matters than baseball on his mind right now. Ryan Langerhans has been called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his spot on the active roster.
UPDATE: Some supplemental information can be found here.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)