Torii Hunter placed on restricted list following son’s arrest

May 14, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT

Torii Hunter Getty 2 Getty Images

According to Tim Mead, the Angels’ vice president of communications, the club has placed outfielder Torii Hunter on the restricted list due to a “personal matter.”

While the club has offered no further comment at this time, an NBC affiliate in Dallas is reporting that Hunter’s 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, was one of five Prosper High School students who were arrested Monday on charges related to a sexual assault.

Four of the students were charged with sexual assault of a child and the fifth is charged with unlawful restraint, according to assistant Prosper police chief Gary McHone. The investigation of the into the alleged sexual assault was reported about a month ago.

It’s not clear when Hunter will rejoin the Angels, but he obviously has other matters than baseball on his mind right now. Ryan Langerhans has been called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his spot on the active roster.

UPDATE: Some supplemental information can be found here.

1. SmackSaw - May 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM

First the Newport Beach thing and now this. Something smells in Denmark. Well, this’ll give Trumbo something to do.

• jlovenotjlo - May 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM

If you’re going to quote Bill Shakespeare at least get the line right

• js20011041 - May 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM

If you’re going to correct someone, at least get it right. We all know that line is from the Arnold Schwarzenegger classic, The Last Action Hero.

2. proudlycanadian - May 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

A very unfortunate incident for the victim. I wish the child well.

Back to baseball. I doubt that Hunter will finish the season with the Angels. The team still has a log jam in the outfield and as Hunter appears to be in the final year of his contract, he is a trade candidate.

• purpleronin - May 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Torii Hunter has a full no-trade clause so he can’t be traded unless he approves it. Of course, under the circumstances, he may accept a trade to Houston to be closer to his son…(I think the Rangers would be closer but that won’t be an option)

3. stairwayto7 - May 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Be a father to your child Torii!

4. randygnyc - May 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I hope the child is ok and if this story is true, the perpetrators burn in hell.

• proudlycanadian - May 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

A very serious incident, but you are rather harsh. “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

• deathmonkey41 - May 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I passed through a light this morning as it was turning from yellow to red- I guess that’s about as equal a sin as raping a minor…

• number42is1 - May 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

yea its harsh to wish that upon pedophiles and rapists. what were we thinking?

• proudlycanadian - May 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM

What happened was wrong. Let the law deal with it. On the other hand, I dislike the mean spirited viciousness that I see in elements of the US population. Hypocrites gall me. How to you explain ministers who say “forgive me lord for I have sinned” who then turn around and want sinners burned in hell.

• aarontzach - May 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM

It’s really tough to comment on a story like this without knowing all the facts. In some states you can be charged with rape for having CONSENSUAL sex with somebody who is only a year or two younger than you are. Should somebody really have to spend years in prison and register as a sex-offender for the rest of their life for something like that? Either way this is a horrible situation and I hope justice is truly served in the end.

• alanpwoods - May 15, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Sure, we don’t have all the facts, but what part of 4 teens being charged with sexual assault and a fifth being charged with “unlawful restraint” sounds consensual?

• samu0034 - May 15, 2012 at 8:59 AM

How about the part where it says “charged” and not “convicted”? I’m with proudlycanadian, the degree to which the presumption of innocence gets ignored by the mob is disconcerting at best and hypocritical at worst.

• offseasonblues - May 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Depending on state laws this could mean a 15 or 16 year old child. I’m not condoning anything at all, but the word child makes us think toddler, and this could be a simple as teens not knowing the law, and / or parents going after deep pockets. Ignorance may not equal innocence but there are degrees of seriousness and we don’t have enough information, at least not in DJ’s post, to know where this incident falls.

5. randygnyc - May 14, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Harsh? Sexual assault of a child. I have a 10 year old daughter. I’m no Internet tough guy, maybe a jerk sometimes, but if I was her parent, I’d be in prison. FOR LIFE. No question about it.

• number42is1 - May 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

right there with ya

• samu0034 - May 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM

And that would be an understandable response, but still not the right one. Especially considering that at this point people have merely been charged with a crime, not convicted. What if they got the wrong guys? What if in your vigilantist ardor you murdered the wrong people? Can you not see that allowing your emotion to judge a case like this is dangerous, and a thing you, or at least those in charge of the case, should suppress?

• Glen - May 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Then you have your child traumatized AND without a father while you rot in jail. Good job, reactionary dad. That’ll really help fix things. I’ll see your daughter on the pole.

• pw38 - May 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Or you could, ya know, wait to hear all the facts before passing judgement. Then again this is teh interwebs and that’s apparently how we roll. I’m not saying they’re not guilty (nor am I saying they are) but man I really am amazed people are so quick to pass judgement without knowing the complete story.

6. randygnyc - May 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM

If people are are concerned that I’ve made a rush to judgement and reread my first post on this matter as I prefaced my comments with “if this story turns out to be true”.

7. judahbenhur - May 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

NEW ANGELS PODCAST: The Halo Effect starring comedian Marty Keegan posts a new episode weekly.
    Baseballhaloeffect com to hear a compelling interview with former pitching rest Jim Abbott, as well as the team happenings with L.A. Times beat writer Lance Pugmire. Angels swag given away weekly.

8. rico7207 - May 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Retire and be a father since you are washed up now any ways.

9. foreverchipper10 - May 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM

LANGERHANS!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3336)