May 14, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Last season Adam Dunn was hitting so poorly when interleague play began that the White Sox didn’t see much benefit to using him in the outfield to get his bat into the lineup.
Dunn made just two starts in the outfield all season on the way to hitting .159 with 177 strikeouts in 127 games.
This season, however, Dunn is back to his usual power-hitting, walk-drawing self and so manager Robin Ventura is willing to take a hit defensively to keep that production in the middle of the lineup once the White Sox start playing NL teams.
Dunn has 11 homers, nine doubles, and 28 walks in 35 games for a .993 OPS and Ventura told Chris Silva of ESPN Chicago that he plans to use the defensively challenged slugger in left field because “the way he’s swinging it and what he does for our lineup he needs to find a way to be in there.”
Dunn hasn’t started a game in left field since 2009 with the Nationals and has just 14 total innings in the outfield since then, but Chicago’s current starting left fielder, Dayan Viciedo, is hardly a defensive standout either and he’s hitting just .196.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)