May 14, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
Last season Adam Dunn was hitting so poorly when interleague play began that the White Sox didn’t see much benefit to using him in the outfield to get his bat into the lineup.
Dunn made just two starts in the outfield all season on the way to hitting .159 with 177 strikeouts in 127 games.
This season, however, Dunn is back to his usual power-hitting, walk-drawing self and so manager Robin Ventura is willing to take a hit defensively to keep that production in the middle of the lineup once the White Sox start playing NL teams.
Dunn has 11 homers, nine doubles, and 28 walks in 35 games for a .993 OPS and Ventura told Chris Silva of ESPN Chicago that he plans to use the defensively challenged slugger in left field because “the way he’s swinging it and what he does for our lineup he needs to find a way to be in there.”
Dunn hasn’t started a game in left field since 2009 with the Nationals and has just 14 total innings in the outfield since then, but Chicago’s current starting left fielder, Dayan Viciedo, is hardly a defensive standout either and he’s hitting just .196.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)