May 14, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
They just announced the AL and NL Players of the Week. Shocker: Josh Hamilton won it in the AL.
Hamilton could have won it if he only played in Tuesday’s four-homer game. But he laid waste to the AL the rest of the week too, going 14-for-30 (.467) with nine homers, two doubles, 18 RBI and 10 runs scored in seven games. Fella can play a bit.
In the NL the award went to Carlos Beltran, whose offensive heroics were somewhat obscured by the fact that the Cardinals were swept by the Braves. Blame Beltran for anything else you want, but you can’t blame him for that series. In all, Beltran played in six games last week, going 9 for 25 (.360) hitting six home runs, driving in 13 RBI, scoring eight runs slugging a cool 1.200.
Don’t slack now, fellas. Let’s see what you got this week.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)