May 14, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
They just announced the AL and NL Players of the Week. Shocker: Josh Hamilton won it in the AL.
Hamilton could have won it if he only played in Tuesday’s four-homer game. But he laid waste to the AL the rest of the week too, going 14-for-30 (.467) with nine homers, two doubles, 18 RBI and 10 runs scored in seven games. Fella can play a bit.
In the NL the award went to Carlos Beltran, whose offensive heroics were somewhat obscured by the fact that the Cardinals were swept by the Braves. Blame Beltran for anything else you want, but you can’t blame him for that series. In all, Beltran played in six games last week, going 9 for 25 (.360) hitting six home runs, driving in 13 RBI, scoring eight runs slugging a cool 1.200.
Don’t slack now, fellas. Let’s see what you got this week.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)