May 14, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
They just announced the AL and NL Players of the Week. Shocker: Josh Hamilton won it in the AL.
Hamilton could have won it if he only played in Tuesday’s four-homer game. But he laid waste to the AL the rest of the week too, going 14-for-30 (.467) with nine homers, two doubles, 18 RBI and 10 runs scored in seven games. Fella can play a bit.
In the NL the award went to Carlos Beltran, whose offensive heroics were somewhat obscured by the fact that the Cardinals were swept by the Braves. Blame Beltran for anything else you want, but you can’t blame him for that series. In all, Beltran played in six games last week, going 9 for 25 (.360) hitting six home runs, driving in 13 RBI, scoring eight runs slugging a cool 1.200.
Don’t slack now, fellas. Let’s see what you got this week.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)