May 14, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
They just announced the AL and NL Players of the Week. Shocker: Josh Hamilton won it in the AL.
Hamilton could have won it if he only played in Tuesday’s four-homer game. But he laid waste to the AL the rest of the week too, going 14-for-30 (.467) with nine homers, two doubles, 18 RBI and 10 runs scored in seven games. Fella can play a bit.
In the NL the award went to Carlos Beltran, whose offensive heroics were somewhat obscured by the fact that the Cardinals were swept by the Braves. Blame Beltran for anything else you want, but you can’t blame him for that series. In all, Beltran played in six games last week, going 9 for 25 (.360) hitting six home runs, driving in 13 RBI, scoring eight runs slugging a cool 1.200.
Don’t slack now, fellas. Let’s see what you got this week.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)