May 15, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
I think Yogi Berra said that. No time to check.
Anyway, we had guys throwing at each other last night in Los Angeles. No one hit anyone, however. And nothing was really settled either, because someone apparently lost count of who hit who when and apparently some slights and vendettas never die.
Clayton Kershaw threw a pitch at Ian Kennedy. Why? Because earlier Kennedy threw a pitch at Kershaw. Why? Because last fall Hong-Chih Kuo threw at Gerardo Parra‘s head. Why? Because last July Parra preened and strutted some after he hit a homer off Kuo.
Somewhere, some Old School Prestigious baseball elder could probably explain when proper justice had been meted out in all of this, but it would contradict what some other Old School Prestigious player thought. There’s rarely any consensus here. Just idiots throwing baseballs at one another and making it increasingly likely that someone will eventually get hurt.
Well, there’s comedy too. When asked about Kennedy throwing at Kershaw, Dbacks catcher Miguel Montero explained it by saying “Kershaw has a long swing, so we had to pitch him in.” Um, ok. But hey: since he lied about it, no one will get suspended I presume.
Ah, Old School Baseball.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)