May 15, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
I think Yogi Berra said that. No time to check.
Anyway, we had guys throwing at each other last night in Los Angeles. No one hit anyone, however. And nothing was really settled either, because someone apparently lost count of who hit who when and apparently some slights and vendettas never die.
Clayton Kershaw threw a pitch at Ian Kennedy. Why? Because earlier Kennedy threw a pitch at Kershaw. Why? Because last fall Hong-Chih Kuo threw at Gerardo Parra‘s head. Why? Because last July Parra preened and strutted some after he hit a homer off Kuo.
Somewhere, some Old School Prestigious baseball elder could probably explain when proper justice had been meted out in all of this, but it would contradict what some other Old School Prestigious player thought. There’s rarely any consensus here. Just idiots throwing baseballs at one another and making it increasingly likely that someone will eventually get hurt.
Well, there’s comedy too. When asked about Kennedy throwing at Kershaw, Dbacks catcher Miguel Montero explained it by saying “Kershaw has a long swing, so we had to pitch him in.” Um, ok. But hey: since he lied about it, no one will get suspended I presume.
Ah, Old School Baseball.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)