May 15, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
I think Yogi Berra said that. No time to check.
Anyway, we had guys throwing at each other last night in Los Angeles. No one hit anyone, however. And nothing was really settled either, because someone apparently lost count of who hit who when and apparently some slights and vendettas never die.
Clayton Kershaw threw a pitch at Ian Kennedy. Why? Because earlier Kennedy threw a pitch at Kershaw. Why? Because last fall Hong-Chih Kuo threw at Gerardo Parra‘s head. Why? Because last July Parra preened and strutted some after he hit a homer off Kuo.
Somewhere, some Old School Prestigious baseball elder could probably explain when proper justice had been meted out in all of this, but it would contradict what some other Old School Prestigious player thought. There’s rarely any consensus here. Just idiots throwing baseballs at one another and making it increasingly likely that someone will eventually get hurt.
Well, there’s comedy too. When asked about Kennedy throwing at Kershaw, Dbacks catcher Miguel Montero explained it by saying “Kershaw has a long swing, so we had to pitch him in.” Um, ok. But hey: since he lied about it, no one will get suspended I presume.
Ah, Old School Baseball.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)