Another day, another Nationals catcher suffers major injury

May 15, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

Sandy Leon AP

In losing starting catcher Wilson Ramos to a torn ACL over the weekend the Nationals turned to oft-injured backup Jesus Flores as their new starter behind the plate and called up Sandy Leon from Double-A to serve as their new backup.

Leon made his big-league debut last night and the 23-year-old had to be carried off the field four innings later following an ugly home plate collision with Padres third baseman Chase Headley.

For now Leon’s injury is being called a high-ankle sprain, but it certainly looked a lot worse than that at the time and the Nationals have placed him on the disabled list. Another catcher, 33-year-old journeyman Carlos Maldonado, was called up from Triple-A as the latest reinforcement.

Any more injuries for Nationals catchers and Ivan Rodriguez may want to seriously re-think that whole retirement thing.

1. redguy12588 - May 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Childs play, the Pirates went through 8 catchers last season.

• Old Gator - May 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

The Pirates catchers were fragging themselves, a la Vietnam. And who can blame them? I’d rather be recuperating on a chaise lounge on a condo balcony in Santo Domingo or Ponce with a piƱa colada in one hand and a telescope trained on the topless beach against my eyeball than inhaling iron oxide particulata in my sleep in Peetsburg any day of the week.

2. darthicarus - May 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Didn’t the Nationals draft some hot shot kid at catcher a few years back? I forget his name, wonder how close to big league ready he is.

• deathmonkey41 - May 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM

He’s currently testing the resilency of wooden bats against concrete walls.

• Old Gator - May 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Well, someone has to get readings on them – just as long as he’s wearing a kevlar jacket and mylar goggles when he checks out the maple bats.

3. deathmonkey41 - May 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM

They should trade for Francisco Cervelli and give up a lot for him.

• js20011041 - May 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Maybe I’m alone in this sentiment, but I just really hope that someone, anyone, punches Cervelli in the face. I just can’t stand his douchebag antics.

• psuravens19 - May 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

HAHA! Now that’s funny!

4. randygnyc - May 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Deathmonkey, sure, we’ll give you Cervelli for strasburg. We’ll even throw in Dwayne wise.

• CJ - May 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM

don’t overpay though…2 for 1 isn’t very fair. Better make sure they throw in Harper while they’re at it.

5. mscott4 - May 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Cubs would be happy to send them Geovany Soto and they’ll even thrown in Soriano free of charge.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM

If we got, say, Desmond back, I’m for it. I don’t have long-term faith in Barney.

6. Old Gator - May 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I hear that the Gnats are finally facing reality and calling up Anton Chigurh from the Texas League. What do you want to bet that the injuries begin shifting to their opponents’ rosters pretty soon?

• deathmonkey41 - May 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Spends too much time flipping coins.

• Old Gator - May 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Sounds like a fair way to determine which team bats first. Doesn’t it….friendo?

7. thomas2727 - May 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I never root for somebody to get hurt. But thinking back to last season and the Nats allegedly wanting a kings ransom from the Giants to get Pudge makes me wonder if there is a weeee bit of karma in play here?

8. bigleagues - May 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I’m smelling a Salty/Wang swap.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM

What does that have to do with baseball? ;-)

• bigleagues - May 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

:-0

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3022)