May 15, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
In losing starting catcher Wilson Ramos to a torn ACL over the weekend the Nationals turned to oft-injured backup Jesus Flores as their new starter behind the plate and called up Sandy Leon from Double-A to serve as their new backup.
For now Leon’s injury is being called a high-ankle sprain, but it certainly looked a lot worse than that at the time and the Nationals have placed him on the disabled list. Another catcher, 33-year-old journeyman Carlos Maldonado, was called up from Triple-A as the latest reinforcement.
Any more injuries for Nationals catchers and Ivan Rodriguez may want to seriously re-think that whole retirement thing.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)