May 15, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
In losing starting catcher Wilson Ramos to a torn ACL over the weekend the Nationals turned to oft-injured backup Jesus Flores as their new starter behind the plate and called up Sandy Leon from Double-A to serve as their new backup.
For now Leon’s injury is being called a high-ankle sprain, but it certainly looked a lot worse than that at the time and the Nationals have placed him on the disabled list. Another catcher, 33-year-old journeyman Carlos Maldonado, was called up from Triple-A as the latest reinforcement.
Any more injuries for Nationals catchers and Ivan Rodriguez may want to seriously re-think that whole retirement thing.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)