May 15, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
In losing starting catcher Wilson Ramos to a torn ACL over the weekend the Nationals turned to oft-injured backup Jesus Flores as their new starter behind the plate and called up Sandy Leon from Double-A to serve as their new backup.
For now Leon’s injury is being called a high-ankle sprain, but it certainly looked a lot worse than that at the time and the Nationals have placed him on the disabled list. Another catcher, 33-year-old journeyman Carlos Maldonado, was called up from Triple-A as the latest reinforcement.
Any more injuries for Nationals catchers and Ivan Rodriguez may want to seriously re-think that whole retirement thing.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 12
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 24
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 66
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)