May 15, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
In losing starting catcher Wilson Ramos to a torn ACL over the weekend the Nationals turned to oft-injured backup Jesus Flores as their new starter behind the plate and called up Sandy Leon from Double-A to serve as their new backup.
For now Leon’s injury is being called a high-ankle sprain, but it certainly looked a lot worse than that at the time and the Nationals have placed him on the disabled list. Another catcher, 33-year-old journeyman Carlos Maldonado, was called up from Triple-A as the latest reinforcement.
Any more injuries for Nationals catchers and Ivan Rodriguez may want to seriously re-think that whole retirement thing.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)