May 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
What will baseball be like in the year 2044? If you said “umpires will use jet-packs, there will be minor league teams in Siberia, third basemen will be left-handed, female spectators will wear witches hats, and ‘The Detroit Bengals’ will be the most powerful team in baseball,” then get out of Jim Moore’s head, because back in the 50s he wrote a short story in which all of those things went down.
Anyway, there’s a nice writeup of this odd, bad story over at The Baseball Continuum. Best part: the assessment of the plausibility of the story’s setting. The most fantastical: In the year 2044, fans will still get most of their sports news from newspapers. Ha!
Oh, I should also mention, the star player for the Bengals was a fifth year player named Rocket Rigsby. If Bryce Harper plays until he’s 46, he could one day teach the rookie Rigsby a little bit about how Old School Baseball was played!
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 4
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 50
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)