May 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
What will baseball be like in the year 2044? If you said “umpires will use jet-packs, there will be minor league teams in Siberia, third basemen will be left-handed, female spectators will wear witches hats, and ‘The Detroit Bengals’ will be the most powerful team in baseball,” then get out of Jim Moore’s head, because back in the 50s he wrote a short story in which all of those things went down.
Anyway, there’s a nice writeup of this odd, bad story over at The Baseball Continuum. Best part: the assessment of the plausibility of the story’s setting. The most fantastical: In the year 2044, fans will still get most of their sports news from newspapers. Ha!
Oh, I should also mention, the star player for the Bengals was a fifth year player named Rocket Rigsby. If Bryce Harper plays until he’s 46, he could one day teach the rookie Rigsby a little bit about how Old School Baseball was played!
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)