May 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
What will baseball be like in the year 2044? If you said “umpires will use jet-packs, there will be minor league teams in Siberia, third basemen will be left-handed, female spectators will wear witches hats, and ‘The Detroit Bengals’ will be the most powerful team in baseball,” then get out of Jim Moore’s head, because back in the 50s he wrote a short story in which all of those things went down.
Anyway, there’s a nice writeup of this odd, bad story over at The Baseball Continuum. Best part: the assessment of the plausibility of the story’s setting. The most fantastical: In the year 2044, fans will still get most of their sports news from newspapers. Ha!
Oh, I should also mention, the star player for the Bengals was a fifth year player named Rocket Rigsby. If Bryce Harper plays until he’s 46, he could one day teach the rookie Rigsby a little bit about how Old School Baseball was played!
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)