May 15, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
I watched Chien-Ming Wang‘s latest minor-league rehab start yesterday on MLB Network and thought he looked pretty good in throwing eight innings at Triple-A, but not surprisingly the Nationals aren’t ready to welcome him back from the disabled list yet.
For one thing Wang allowed four runs on 11 hits, which isn’t great even if a lot of that damage came late in the game when he was wearing down. For another thing Ross Detwiler has pitched well enough to remain in the rotation as the fifth starter and unless the Nationals decide to send him back to the bullpen anyway there isn’t any room for Wang in the rotation.
All of which is why manager Davey Johnson announced last night that Wang would make at least one more rehab start before potentially returning. At most he can continue rehabbing until May 27, at which point the 30-day window closes, so a decision will need to be made very soon either way.
Like me, Johnson watched Wang’s start on television and came away fairly impressed, telling Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that the right-hander “looked good to me” and “that was a big step in the right direction.”
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)