May 15, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Jon Jay has played (and played well) through shoulder pain since running into the outfield wall on April 19, hitting .339 in 16 games, but Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Cardinals center fielder is headed to the disabled list.
Carlos Beltran is also out of St. Louis’ lineup today for the second straight game because of a knee injury, so suddenly the Cardinals’ outfield is very thin.
Jay has hit .343 with two homers and an .833 OPS in 27 games overall this season to emerge as one of the league’s most underrated all-around center fielders at age 27.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 28
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)