May 15, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Jon Jay has played (and played well) through shoulder pain since running into the outfield wall on April 19, hitting .339 in 16 games, but Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Cardinals center fielder is headed to the disabled list.
Carlos Beltran is also out of St. Louis’ lineup today for the second straight game because of a knee injury, so suddenly the Cardinals’ outfield is very thin.
Jay has hit .343 with two homers and an .833 OPS in 27 games overall this season to emerge as one of the league’s most underrated all-around center fielders at age 27.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 16
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29