May 15, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Jon Jay has played (and played well) through shoulder pain since running into the outfield wall on April 19, hitting .339 in 16 games, but Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Cardinals center fielder is headed to the disabled list.
Carlos Beltran is also out of St. Louis’ lineup today for the second straight game because of a knee injury, so suddenly the Cardinals’ outfield is very thin.
Jay has hit .343 with two homers and an .833 OPS in 27 games overall this season to emerge as one of the league’s most underrated all-around center fielders at age 27.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)