May 15, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Jon Jay has played (and played well) through shoulder pain since running into the outfield wall on April 19, hitting .339 in 16 games, but Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Cardinals center fielder is headed to the disabled list.
Carlos Beltran is also out of St. Louis’ lineup today for the second straight game because of a knee injury, so suddenly the Cardinals’ outfield is very thin.
Jay has hit .343 with two homers and an .833 OPS in 27 games overall this season to emerge as one of the league’s most underrated all-around center fielders at age 27.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40