May 15, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Youkilis, who’s been out since April 27 with a back injury and struggled before being shut down, is scheduled to be in Pawtucket’s lineup at designated hitter and get three at-bats.
Barring a setback he’ll then play defense Thursday, presumably at third base, and potentially be cleared to come off the disabled list as soon as Friday. Of course, with fill-in Will Middlebrooks seemingly playing far too well for the Red Sox to send him back to Triple-A right now it’s unclear where Youkilis fits in the team’s immediate plans anyway.
Middlebrooks has hit .304 with four homers and a 1.021 OPS in 11 games since debuting on May 2, whereas Youkilis has hit just .205 with 52 strikeouts in 55 games since last season’s All-Star break.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 0
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 66
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)