May 15, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Youkilis, who’s been out since April 27 with a back injury and struggled before being shut down, is scheduled to be in Pawtucket’s lineup at designated hitter and get three at-bats.
Barring a setback he’ll then play defense Thursday, presumably at third base, and potentially be cleared to come off the disabled list as soon as Friday. Of course, with fill-in Will Middlebrooks seemingly playing far too well for the Red Sox to send him back to Triple-A right now it’s unclear where Youkilis fits in the team’s immediate plans anyway.
Middlebrooks has hit .304 with four homers and a 1.021 OPS in 11 games since debuting on May 2, whereas Youkilis has hit just .205 with 52 strikeouts in 55 games since last season’s All-Star break.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 40
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)