Manny Ramirez will be back soon. Gentlemen: start your narratives

May 15, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Manny Ramirez

Remember the first time Manny Ramirez got a drug suspension and then got all kinds of crap because he was allowed to go on a triple-A rehab assignment before the 50 games was up?  Yeah, it seems like a long time ago that people cared that much about what Manny did.

He’s doing it again. Starting Sunday, when he’ll report to Sacramento to serve out the last few days of his latest suspension and then join the Oakland A’s.  And, as he told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, he’s excited about it:

“I will be ready.  I’m going to go crazy to please the fans.”

“I will do anything — absolutely anything I need to do — in order to hit home runs and make the fans happy,” he did not add, because presumably he has at least a modicum of self-awareness.

Seriously, this is an interesting time for Manny and the A’s.  At 19-17, Oakland is exceeding expectations and is actually to stir a little something in a fan base thought dead.  If Manny comes back and keeps the A’s humming at a respectable level — or even spurs them into sustained contention — the Manny narrative becomes something totally different than it has been for him for the past couple of years.

If, however, his return coincides with Oakland going on a skid — whether he produces or not — will he get the blame for it? Will he be characterized as poison?

1. drunkenhooliganism - May 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM

If I happen upon a Manny Ramirez at bat on TV, I’m watching. I don’t care what else I’m doing, it all stops for a Manny Ramirez at-bat.

• mcsnide - May 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Vlad Guerrero was always that guy for me. You never knew what would happen. Well, you knew he wouldn’t walk, but beyond that, anything could happen – a ridiculous strikeout or an opposite-field home run on a ball 8 inches off the plate were in play. I’d love to see him make the Blue Jays’ roster.

2. illcomm - May 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Hey Craig. There us a good story about guys playing field hockey today. Jim Halley from HAS today wrote the article. Good followup to the story you had last week.

• number42is1 - May 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

BURN! you ever think about taking your act on the road? this is some class A gold stuff right here. i mean you totally ripped into Craig. you nailed it bro. WOW!
      /sarcasm off

• bsbiz - May 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I’m sure everyone who came to this thread to read about Manny Ramirez appreciates hearing that.

• b7p19 - May 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

What, no link?

3. braddavery - May 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM

“I will do anything — absolutely anything I need to do — in order to hit home runs and make the fans happy.”

Isn’t that what got him suspended in the first place. lol

• cleverbob - May 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Yes, that was the point…

• paperlions - May 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

….and a made up quote.

• braddavery - May 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I missed that it was a fake quote. Oh well.

4. Old Gator - May 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Cockaroach populations – the big hissing ones – spike on a two year cycle, too.

5. amoses74 - May 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Oakland will be excited to have the best LF cutoff guy on the throw from CF to SS in the history of MLB!

6. drewsylvania - May 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Wasn’t he already crazy?

7. bleed4philly - May 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

He can’t be worse than pujols

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3235)