May 15, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
You may have seen a month or two ago that someone started selling red and blue t-shirts with the word “Barves” instead of “Braves.” As most of those kinds of things go, it was kind of clever and it became fun to call the Braves the Barves on Twitter and stuff.
And, as most of those things go, you knew it was going to cause MLB and its lawyers to get in the act. And they recently did, sending out a cease and desist letter. The makers of the shirts are desisting, because who needs that kind of legal hassle?
But it was almost worth it, if for no other reason than it led the Indian Country blog — which focuses on Native American news, culture and issues — to report on the cease and desist letter thusly:
… the Barves logo and shirts, it said, “dilute and/or tarnish the distinctive quality of the Braves Marks. Accordingly …(it) constitutes trademark infringement, unfair competition, false designation of origin, and/or trademark dilution, in violation of federal, state and/or common law.”
Many Natives might concede that the MLB and the Braves have a point: You have to be careful when playing with logos and symbolism—you don’t want to dilute and/or tarnish anyone’s distinctive qualities.
That may be the sickest burn in the history of sick burns. I want to stand up and applaud the magnificent S.O.B. who wrote that right now.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)