May 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
Remember last year when the Brewers gave away Bernie Brewer statues by hiding them in city parks? And how grubby hoarders hoarded them grubbily? God, that made me hate people more than I usually do.
Well, this morning the Brewers tried again, this time giving away Chorizo (from the sausage race) statues. Instead of scattering them about parklands, they scattered them in a parking lot at the ballpark, beginning at 5 AM. They were gone in less than two hours:
Like firefighters rushing to a blaze, Milwaukee Brewers fans hurried early Tuesday morning to Miller Park to grab a Chorizo lawn ornament. The fun began at 5 a.m. as word spread online, on radio and television that the Brewers were hosting another collectibles giveaway, this time on the Miller Park grounds … Media had been alerted ahead of time and were in place at 5 a.m. to watch the rush of fans entering the Molitor Lot, just north of I-94.
By 5:45 a.m., cars were lined up along Story Parkway waiting to get into the parking lot. And by 6:43 a.m., all of the lawn ornaments had been snapped up.
The parking lot location was chosen in order to limit the number of statues each person got, and it was pretty successful. Also: each statue came with a pair of game tickets to the upcoming series against the Giants.
Score one for the earlier risers.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)