May 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Remember last year when the Brewers gave away Bernie Brewer statues by hiding them in city parks? And how grubby hoarders hoarded them grubbily? God, that made me hate people more than I usually do.
Well, this morning the Brewers tried again, this time giving away Chorizo (from the sausage race) statues. Instead of scattering them about parklands, they scattered them in a parking lot at the ballpark, beginning at 5 AM. They were gone in less than two hours:
Like firefighters rushing to a blaze, Milwaukee Brewers fans hurried early Tuesday morning to Miller Park to grab a Chorizo lawn ornament. The fun began at 5 a.m. as word spread online, on radio and television that the Brewers were hosting another collectibles giveaway, this time on the Miller Park grounds … Media had been alerted ahead of time and were in place at 5 a.m. to watch the rush of fans entering the Molitor Lot, just north of I-94.
By 5:45 a.m., cars were lined up along Story Parkway waiting to get into the parking lot. And by 6:43 a.m., all of the lawn ornaments had been snapped up.
The parking lot location was chosen in order to limit the number of statues each person got, and it was pretty successful. Also: each statue came with a pair of game tickets to the upcoming series against the Giants.
Score one for the earlier risers.
- Carlos Carrasco has a no-hitter through eight vs. the Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)