May 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Remember last year when the Brewers gave away Bernie Brewer statues by hiding them in city parks? And how grubby hoarders hoarded them grubbily? God, that made me hate people more than I usually do.
Well, this morning the Brewers tried again, this time giving away Chorizo (from the sausage race) statues. Instead of scattering them about parklands, they scattered them in a parking lot at the ballpark, beginning at 5 AM. They were gone in less than two hours:
Like firefighters rushing to a blaze, Milwaukee Brewers fans hurried early Tuesday morning to Miller Park to grab a Chorizo lawn ornament. The fun began at 5 a.m. as word spread online, on radio and television that the Brewers were hosting another collectibles giveaway, this time on the Miller Park grounds … Media had been alerted ahead of time and were in place at 5 a.m. to watch the rush of fans entering the Molitor Lot, just north of I-94.
By 5:45 a.m., cars were lined up along Story Parkway waiting to get into the parking lot. And by 6:43 a.m., all of the lawn ornaments had been snapped up.
The parking lot location was chosen in order to limit the number of statues each person got, and it was pretty successful. Also: each statue came with a pair of game tickets to the upcoming series against the Giants.
Score one for the earlier risers.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 31
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 48
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)