May 15, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
And now your entry for “least interesting news of the day: The Cubs have acquire lefty Hunter Cervenka from Boston as the player to be named later in the Marlon Byrd deal.
I’ve never heard of Cervenka. Guessing most people not related to him haven’t either. Heck, there are probably even some Cervenka cousins who are like “Hunter … is that aunt Mary’s son? I thought he played lacrosse.”
In any event. Cervenka is 22. He has a 5.97 ERA in four minor league season. This year he was 0-3 with 8.04 ERA in the Sally League. And if he turns into the next Pedro Martinez, won’t this post be funny?
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)