The player to be named later in the Marlon Byrd deal is named

May 15, 2012, 4:00 PM EST

mystery man

And now your entry for “least interesting news of the day: The Cubs have acquire lefty Hunter Cervenka from Boston as the player to be named later in the Marlon Byrd deal.

I’ve never heard of Cervenka. Guessing most people not related to him haven’t either. Heck, there are probably even some Cervenka cousins who are like “Hunter … is that aunt Mary’s son? I thought he played lacrosse.”

In any event. Cervenka is 22. He has a 5.97 ERA in four minor league season. This year he was 0-3 with 8.04 ERA in the Sally League.  And if he turns into the next Pedro Martinez, won’t this post be funny?

1. jwbiii - May 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

He’s not on Sickels’ prospect list, which has about 40 players on it. . . my guess is you’ll never hear from him again.

2. rollinghighwayblues - May 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Oddly enough, I know him. I played against him a couple times in high school. I had no earthly idea that the Red Sox drafted him. I remember him being an early signing for the University of Texas and never heard of him until now.

3. mybrunoblog - May 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Wait….wasn’t Crash Davis “the player to be named later” ????

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Meh. Bowden’s enough for a year of Byrd on a Cubs team that didn’t deeply need him.

5. cubs552 - May 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I never heard of him either, but rumor at the clubhouse is Theo was personally involved in this request, so I did a bit of research for myself…..big LHP with strong K potentials that RedSox never quite developed. and besides, my Aunt Mary says no one from Texas plays lacrosse ! ! !

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5023)