Vance Worley scratched due to sore elbow

May 15, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT

Vance Worley Getty Images

The Phillies will have to find themselves a new starter for Wednesday’s game. Vance Worley was scratched because of a sore right elbow, it was revealed Tuesday afternoon.

A replacement wasn’t announced, but Kyle Kendrick is expected to get the ball. CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports that Joe Savery is likely to join the Phillies and could take Worley’s spot on the roster if Worley lands on the DL.

Worley, for his part, doesn’t believe the elbow injury is serious, but it apparently has been bothering him for some time. The 24-year-old righty is 3-2 with a 3.07 ERA in seven starts this season. He’s struck out 45 batters in 44 innings.

1. bigleagues - May 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I’m pretty sure we’re on pace for each and every SP in MLB to miss at least one start this season.

I don’t have any numbers that prompted me to make this observation, but are we beginning to reach critical mass with over-protective lineup scratch’s? Pitchers and position players.

And a little off-topic, but the ‘scheduled day-off’ trend has seemingly reached new heights this season as well.

• Tim OShenko - May 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Were I a manager, I’d rather have my pitcher miss one start than potentially aggravate his injury and wind up on the DL or worse. Likewise, I’d rather rest him than have him pitch through pain and wind up getting clobbered because he doesn’t have his best stuff.

Also, with most of the players you see being scratched from the lineup, they tried to play through the pain before finally being sat down. That’s the case with Worley here, and with Matt Kemp, Justin Morneau, and David Robertson, just to name a few. And in each case, you can see their performance dip (sometimes plummet) as they play hurt.

To me, this seems less over-protective and more sensibly cautious.

• biasedhomer - May 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Yep, see Danny Duffy, season over from what could have been avoided had they paid attention.

• bigleagues - May 16, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Tim,

I haven’t seen you on HBT before and I’m not sure if you’ve ever seen my comments, but I’m well aware of all those arguments, and I’m not debating the wisdom.

The practice, over-cautious or not, has been a trend in player management for 15-20 years now.

Perhaps I could have more clearly stated my point . . . my intent was to make an observation that it seems as if there are even more missed Starts and scheduled days off so far this season than I can remember occurring in any recent season.

That said, while I support managing the health of a pitcher (or player if need be) to maximize production throughout the season, I have a real tough time with the concept of regularly “scheduled days off” for a position player.

• bigleagues - May 16, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Most Pitchers are going to have a significant injury at some point in their career.

In fact, every Pitcher pitches with varying degrees of tears and stresses to their labrum. The extent of labrum trauma varies from Pitcher to Pitcher because of genetics, shoulder strength and pitching motion. If the Mariners had managed Pineda differently would he be pitching for the Yankees right now? Perhaps. But shoulder surgery would have been inevitable.

Likewise with Danny Duffy. Ligament replacement isn’t due to overuse, it’s an occupational hazard.

It’s a lark to claim that had the Royals “paid attention” better, that Danny Duffy wouldn’t be missing the remainder of the season because he requires TJS.

Danny Duffy requires TJS because Danny Duffy is a Pitcher who for a variety of reasons is susceptible to ligament damage. The good news is TJS typically makes the ligament stronger than before (performance enhancing surgery? I’ll leave that for a different discussion).

• Tim OShenko - May 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM

bigleagues,

I’ve been floating around HBT for awhile now, just starting to comment more regularly.

I’m a little skeptical that there have been “even more” missed starts this season than in previous years. It might be the case, but still it seems like every year there’s a rash of oblique strains or what-have-you that lead a bunch of pitchers to sit out a start, especially early in the season. It would be interesting to compare the numbers on this, and see if there is a trend.

As for position players taking “scheduled days off,” there likely is a lot more of that now than in the past. And aside from giving catchers a day off here & there, which makes sense given the wear and tear they go through, you may have a point about it being over-protective. Though there again, maybe those off-days are put in place because training staffs know more nowadays about preventing injury. I can see a valid argument either way.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5133)