May 15, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Crain has been out since April 21 with a strained oblique muscle, but was pitching well before getting hurt and made a pair of scoreless minor-league rehab appearances over the weekend.
He’ll likely be worked back into the bullpen mix slowly, but if rookie Addison Reed struggles it wouldn’t be shocking to see manager Robin Ventura give Crain a look in the ninth inning at some point.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)