May 16, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Allen Craig began the season on the disabled list following November knee surgery and returned to an uncertain role when he came off the shelf on May 1, but other injuries have quickly turned him into an everyday player for the Cardinals and he’s absolutely killing the ball.
Craig went 3-for-4 with a double, a walk, and two RBIs yesterday, giving him an extra-base hit in eight of his 12 games. He’s now batting .404 with five homers and five doubles in 47 at-bats, posting a .455 on-base percentage and .830 slugging percentage that adds up to a 1.284 OPS.
To put that in some context, Josh Hamilton has a .402 batting average and 1.305 OPS overall this season. I suppose Craig hitting like Hamilton for 12 games is obviously less noteworthy than Hamilton hitting like Craig all season, but either way the Cardinals’ banged-up lineup is being carried by a guy who missed the first two dozen games and was on the DL two weeks ago.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)