May 16, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Allen Craig began the season on the disabled list following November knee surgery and returned to an uncertain role when he came off the shelf on May 1, but other injuries have quickly turned him into an everyday player for the Cardinals and he’s absolutely killing the ball.
Craig went 3-for-4 with a double, a walk, and two RBIs yesterday, giving him an extra-base hit in eight of his 12 games. He’s now batting .404 with five homers and five doubles in 47 at-bats, posting a .455 on-base percentage and .830 slugging percentage that adds up to a 1.284 OPS.
To put that in some context, Josh Hamilton has a .402 batting average and 1.305 OPS overall this season. I suppose Craig hitting like Hamilton for 12 games is obviously less noteworthy than Hamilton hitting like Craig all season, but either way the Cardinals’ banged-up lineup is being carried by a guy who missed the first two dozen games and was on the DL two weeks ago.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)