Banged-up Dodgers have a very ugly lineup tonight

May 16, 2012, 3:47 PM EST

Los Angeles Dodgers batter Andre Ethier reacts in the dugout after he struck out against the New York Mets during their MLB National League baseball game in New York Reuters

Matt Kemp, Juan Rivera, Juan Uribe, and Jerry Hairston Jr. are on the disabled list and A.J. Ellis, James Loney, Dee Gordon, and Mark Ellis are getting the night off, so the Dodgers’ lineup versus left-hander Clayton Richard and the Padres is really, really ugly:

1. Tony Gwynn Jr., CF
2. Elian Herrera, 2B
3. Bobby Abreu, LF
4. Andre Ethier, RF
5. Jerry Sands, 1B
6. Justin Sellers, SS
7. Adam Kennedy, 3B
8. Matt Treanor, C

Oof.

Gwynn and his .320 career on-base percentage are leading off, Abreu is hitting third a week after being released by the Angels, Herrera batting second and Sands batting fifth were just called up from the minors, and aside from Ethier the lineup as a whole looks a lot more like a third-place Triple-A team than a first-place MLB team.

And because baseball is baseball, they’ll probably score 10 runs tonight.

1. icanspeel - May 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Woo the Padres have a chance to win!! Being a Padres fan I’ll take what they can get

• vanmorrissey - May 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Yea, maybe, just maybe, they’ll be more of those oh so exciting 1-0, 2-1 type games with 6 hits total. Since I have TWC I’m enjoying not watching them and wasting video time. Early game today so watch, no Marine layer in play, it might even get up to a 5-4 score.

• icanspeel - May 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I dunno I am a true fan, so I stick with them through thin and thinner and watch just about every game. 4-2 win was nice

2. willsolo - May 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM

The Dodgers lineup looks like a bunch of 4A players even with Kemp in the lineup. Uribe, Loney, Gordon? REALLY? Ugh… I hate day dreaming about the lineup from ’97… THAT was a lineup.

3. JB (the original) - May 16, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Beat up or not, they’d still kick the Twins’ ass. :(

• Tim OShenko - May 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Luckily, the Twins play the Tigers tonight instead.

Hrm… forget I said anything.

4. spudatx - May 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM

The Twins weathered worse late last year when almost their entire starting line-up and several pitchers were on the DL or unavailable for whatever reason. And… just look at where they are now!

5. AK47 - May 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I saw the headline and had a feeling that whatever the Dodger lineup, it would be compared to the Twins. And I agree with whoever said that this Dodger lineup would still kick the Twins asses.

6. redux23 - May 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM

just another night in the pcl…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5388)