May 16, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Matt Kemp, Juan Rivera, Juan Uribe, and Jerry Hairston Jr. are on the disabled list and A.J. Ellis, James Loney, Dee Gordon, and Mark Ellis are getting the night off, so the Dodgers’ lineup versus left-hander Clayton Richard and the Padres is really, really ugly:
Gwynn and his .320 career on-base percentage are leading off, Abreu is hitting third a week after being released by the Angels, Herrera batting second and Sands batting fifth were just called up from the minors, and aside from Ethier the lineup as a whole looks a lot more like a third-place Triple-A team than a first-place MLB team.
And because baseball is baseball, they’ll probably score 10 runs tonight.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 0
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 108
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 65
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)