May 16, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Matt Kemp, Juan Rivera, Juan Uribe, and Jerry Hairston Jr. are on the disabled list and A.J. Ellis, James Loney, Dee Gordon, and Mark Ellis are getting the night off, so the Dodgers’ lineup versus left-hander Clayton Richard and the Padres is really, really ugly:
Gwynn and his .320 career on-base percentage are leading off, Abreu is hitting third a week after being released by the Angels, Herrera batting second and Sands batting fifth were just called up from the minors, and aside from Ethier the lineup as a whole looks a lot more like a third-place Triple-A team than a first-place MLB team.
And because baseball is baseball, they’ll probably score 10 runs tonight.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 3
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 26
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 70
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 172
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (172)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)