May 16, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Hey Brett Lawrie, what did you think of that called third strike?
Yeah, I’m guessing you’re going to get suspended, son.
Yes, the ump made two bad calls during that at bat — check out the plots of pitches 5 and 6 here — but worse calls are made every day and that’s no excuse for erupting like that. The helmet throw was just disciplinary icing on a temper tantrum cake that MLB is not going to take kindly to. Here’s umpire Bill Miller’s statement:
“Upon seeing that he was ejected, he took several steps toward me and fired his helmet. It hit me in the right hip. That’s a bit extreme.”
For his part, Lawrie said he didn’t mean it:
“That was not my intention at all,” Lawrie said of striking Miller with his helmet. “I’ve never, ever, done anything to go at an umpire before in my life, and I didn’t mean to tonight. I apologize for that. It just kind of took an unlucky bounce and I think it got him, so my apologies for that.”
Not that I think that, or the fact that he was arguing bad call, will or should help him here. Gotta keep your cool better than that.
… a disgruntled fan in the stands at Rogers Centre tossed a mostly full cup of beer and hit Miller in the right shoulder as he walked off the field.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)