May 16, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Just got the press release from MLB:
Third baseman Brett Lawrie of the Toronto Blue Jays has received a four-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for his aggressive actions toward Umpire Bill Miller, which included throwing his helmet in Miller’s vicinity, during the bottom of the ninth inning of last night’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Rogers Centre.
And he’s appealing, so he is in the lineup tonight.
Seems a little light to me. You can get five games for simply leaving the bench and doing some ineffectual pushing and shoving during one of those low-octane on-field fights. I would have thought that throwing the helmet and having it — inadvertently or otherwise — hit an umpire would bring more.
Anyway, this would seem to end it so, for posterity:
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)