Of course you want to see Pete Rose in a one-man show at an Indiana casino

May 16, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Pete Rose jacket

“Honey, I’ve narrowed down our options for the weekend getaway.”

“Let’s hear it, dear.”

“Well, we could go to the Caesars Palace Colosseum in Las Vegas and see that big Elton John show, or we could go to that casino in Florence, Indiana and see Pete Rose talk about his life.”

“What are we waiting for? Indiana, ho!”

Pete Rose hits the live stage Friday night at Belterra Casino Resort in what is basically a one-man show billed in various places on the internet as “An Evening With Pete Rose,” or “4,192 — The Making of the Hit King.”

“It’s me telling stories about how I got started playing ball, the impact my father had on me as an athlete, signing with the Reds and right on through the breaking of the (all-time) hit record,” Rose said Tuesday in a telephone interview.

I wouldn’t have the guts to do it myself, but if you and I went to this show, I’d give you ten bucks to ask Pete how it felt to kill Bart Giamatti.

1. vansloot - May 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM

In all fairness, I watched “4192: The Crowning of the Hit King” on Netflix Instant and it wasn’t a terrible hagiography of Pete Rose. It *was* a hagiography, but it was an enjoyable film. It’s easy to forget with all the craziness how good Rose really was.

Considering how the film was structured (a series of interview clips of Pete and others interspersed with clips of him playing) I’m guessing his casino show will be a lot of the same material.

2. lancer255 - May 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I actually saw this, it wasn’t that bad. He actually is pretty funny.

3. justinreds - May 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Challenge Accepted!

4. metalhead65 - May 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM

that’s right craig Pete killed him, I am sure being overweight and smoking 20 packs a day had nothing to do with it.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Dude, tongue was placed firmly in cheek with that one.

5. heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Gotta have some St. Bernard sized [ expletive ] to go on stage like that.

6. Utley's Hair - May 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Has anybody told Pete that he looks nothing like Ellen Cleghorn?

7. hansob - May 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM

apparently he gets his clothes at MC Hammer’s garage sale.

8. lembeck4 - May 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM

A Ty Cobb story AND a Pete Rose story on the same day???? What are the Odds????

9. mybrunoblog - May 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Elton John or Pete Rose. A Seam head like myself will take Rose. I met the guy once and no matter what you have heard he is a great guy to bulls$@t with for a few hours. Rose Knows more a out baseball in his pinkie than we all know in our while bodies.

• mybrunoblog - May 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Whole bodies. my spelling and grammar are on par with my motivation level today.

10. skerney - May 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

That’s entertainment!

11. Gobias Industries - May 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Why is my Nana at the Reds game?

12. harrysatchel - May 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Nice Jacket! Marge Schott must have left that for him in the will.

13. sdbunting - May 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM

No Linda Richman cracks? Off day for y’all.

14. fm31970 - May 17, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Is that a Coogi jacket?

15. denny65 - May 17, 2012 at 4:13 AM

I’d travel a distance and pay a few bucks to hear Pete Rose hold forth on baseball.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4028)