May 16, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Every time some bad fan behavior happens in Philly, someone says “hey, why don’t you ever mention it when some other fans go nuts?” Well, fine. But I’m keeping it in Pennsylvania:
A Pirates security supervisor lost his finger and a Pittsburgh police officer was hurt when a woman’s refusal to leave PNC Park this weekend touched off a fight … “While defending himself, [the security guard] got his left hand caught on the fence, and when he was pulled by both (defendants) his left middle finger was ripped off at the second knuckle and was hanging by a piece of skin,” Detective Rende wrote in the complaint.
Ugh! Apparently the finger was reattached in surgery, so I suppose it could have been worse. But man.
This all started, by the way, because the woman was smoking in her seat at the smoke-free ballpark. As she was being asked to leave, her boyfriend attacked the security guard and then her 50 year-old father joined in, leading to the de-digitization of the poor security guard.
As the woman was being put in a police car, she was spitting and kicking, so the officer used what is referred to as a “palm strike” technique to subdue her, during which he injured his shoulder.
And, yes, the attorney for the fans here is making noises about the police using too much force. Which, in light of the beating/tasing episode at PNC Park last year, is probably something that will have some legs given that that incident at least raised some questions about whether the police properly handled a belligerent fan last year.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)