May 16, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Every time some bad fan behavior happens in Philly, someone says “hey, why don’t you ever mention it when some other fans go nuts?” Well, fine. But I’m keeping it in Pennsylvania:
A Pirates security supervisor lost his finger and a Pittsburgh police officer was hurt when a woman’s refusal to leave PNC Park this weekend touched off a fight … “While defending himself, [the security guard] got his left hand caught on the fence, and when he was pulled by both (defendants) his left middle finger was ripped off at the second knuckle and was hanging by a piece of skin,” Detective Rende wrote in the complaint.
Ugh! Apparently the finger was reattached in surgery, so I suppose it could have been worse. But man.
This all started, by the way, because the woman was smoking in her seat at the smoke-free ballpark. As she was being asked to leave, her boyfriend attacked the security guard and then her 50 year-old father joined in, leading to the de-digitization of the poor security guard.
As the woman was being put in a police car, she was spitting and kicking, so the officer used what is referred to as a “palm strike” technique to subdue her, during which he injured his shoulder.
And, yes, the attorney for the fans here is making noises about the police using too much force. Which, in light of the beating/tasing episode at PNC Park last year, is probably something that will have some legs given that that incident at least raised some questions about whether the police properly handled a belligerent fan last year.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (127)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (101)