May 16, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
Every time some bad fan behavior happens in Philly, someone says “hey, why don’t you ever mention it when some other fans go nuts?” Well, fine. But I’m keeping it in Pennsylvania:
A Pirates security supervisor lost his finger and a Pittsburgh police officer was hurt when a woman’s refusal to leave PNC Park this weekend touched off a fight … “While defending himself, [the security guard] got his left hand caught on the fence, and when he was pulled by both (defendants) his left middle finger was ripped off at the second knuckle and was hanging by a piece of skin,” Detective Rende wrote in the complaint.
Ugh! Apparently the finger was reattached in surgery, so I suppose it could have been worse. But man.
This all started, by the way, because the woman was smoking in her seat at the smoke-free ballpark. As she was being asked to leave, her boyfriend attacked the security guard and then her 50 year-old father joined in, leading to the de-digitization of the poor security guard.
As the woman was being put in a police car, she was spitting and kicking, so the officer used what is referred to as a “palm strike” technique to subdue her, during which he injured his shoulder.
And, yes, the attorney for the fans here is making noises about the police using too much force. Which, in light of the beating/tasing episode at PNC Park last year, is probably something that will have some legs given that that incident at least raised some questions about whether the police properly handled a belligerent fan last year.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 118
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)