May 16, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
Every time some bad fan behavior happens in Philly, someone says “hey, why don’t you ever mention it when some other fans go nuts?” Well, fine. But I’m keeping it in Pennsylvania:
A Pirates security supervisor lost his finger and a Pittsburgh police officer was hurt when a woman’s refusal to leave PNC Park this weekend touched off a fight … “While defending himself, [the security guard] got his left hand caught on the fence, and when he was pulled by both (defendants) his left middle finger was ripped off at the second knuckle and was hanging by a piece of skin,” Detective Rende wrote in the complaint.
Ugh! Apparently the finger was reattached in surgery, so I suppose it could have been worse. But man.
This all started, by the way, because the woman was smoking in her seat at the smoke-free ballpark. As she was being asked to leave, her boyfriend attacked the security guard and then her 50 year-old father joined in, leading to the de-digitization of the poor security guard.
As the woman was being put in a police car, she was spitting and kicking, so the officer used what is referred to as a “palm strike” technique to subdue her, during which he injured his shoulder.
And, yes, the attorney for the fans here is making noises about the police using too much force. Which, in light of the beating/tasing episode at PNC Park last year, is probably something that will have some legs given that that incident at least raised some questions about whether the police properly handled a belligerent fan last year.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 47
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (246)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)