May 16, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT
And what about the idea of former bullpen-mate Alfredo Aceves taking up his former closers role with the Sox?
“I think he definitely can [be a closer]. He’s got [expletives] of steel,” Papelbon said. “That’s what it takes. You’ve got to have a big set of doberman [expletives] to close.”
Philosophical question 1: If you know exactly what the word is that you’re slapping the [expletive] tag on, do you still have to do it? I do it too with little asterisks for Class-A profanity, but I still feel weird about it. Here, though, I think we can all agree that you can say “balls,” right?
Philosophical question 2: When a closer can no longer close, is it because he’s been neutered?
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)