May 16, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Kansas City’s next wave of young talent is now just one step from the majors, as the Royals promoted top prospects Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi from Double-A to Triple-A.
Myers struggled at Double-A last season, hitting just .253 with eight homers in 99 games, but the outfielder still ranked 28th on Baseball America‘s annual prospect list coming into this season and annihilated Texas League pitching while repeating the level. He hit .343 with 13 homers and 11 doubles in 35 games, producing an incredible .731 slugging percentage and 1.146 OPS to force the promotion at age 21.
Odorizzi ranked 68th on that same Baseball America list coming into the season and the 22-year-old right-hander made seven starts at Double-A with a 3.32 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 38 innings, showing the promise that made him a first-round pick in 2008.
So far the Royals’ historic prospect collection hasn’t resulted in big-league wins, but Myers and Odorizzi both project as impact players and the major leaguers have shown some signs of life recently by winning six of their last seven games.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)