Stay classy, Rob Dibble

May 16, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Rob Dibble famously told Stephen Strasburg to “suck it up” after his elbow ligament exploded, and then got fired for it, and now it seems that Dibble has something of a vendetta against Strasburg. Example: his comments re: the Icy Hot affair from yesterday:

Nothing more classy than making references to feminine hygiene products as a means of questioning a player’s toughness.  Of course if someone as gutless and weak as Dibble ever had Icy Hot on his nethers — let alone had to deal with what women do every month — he’d  probably go on the 60-day DL.

1. Stacey - May 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Every time I try to come up with something to say about Dibble’s comment, I find myself wanting to call him bad names which really doesn’t accomplish anything.

With that being said, he’s a douche.

• b7p19 - May 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Can’t tell if you tried that or not, but if you did…well done.

2. The Common Man - May 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Rob Dibble really is horrible.

• heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Whaddaya think of a cage match between him and Canseco?

• The Common Man - May 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Everyone loses.

• Utley's Hair - May 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Actually, the two of them would win, since they’d get attention showered on them. The rest of civilization, however….

• heyblueyoustink - May 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

What if we threw a bunch of Rage virus infected monkeys in the cage with them?

• Utley's Hair - May 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Put it on pay per view and you could bring in enough money to cure idiocy.

3. ezthinking - May 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

What an ass Dibble is. Strasburg didn’t use it as an excuse, his manager brought it up and Strasburg gave a no comment.

Somethings never change. In this case its Dibbs not bothering to do his homework.

• evanwins - May 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I saw an interview with Strasburg after the game and he said “no excuses, it’s just baseball”…and then he went on to give several excuses – the rain, the umps, etc…

So don’t make him out to be something he’s not and don’t make the situation out to be something its not. He got beat. Period.

4. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

You are keeping him relevant by printing his comments.

• nogoodtomedead - May 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Exactly- let’s just ignore him and he’ll fade away into obscurity

• paperlions - May 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM

We’ve tried that with brokeass….and he’s still here…I don’t think that strategy is particularly effective.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM

That’s not very nice paper!! I am a truly lovable guy when I’m taking my meds.

• CJ - May 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM

so then the rumor about you having stopped taking your meds in 1997 IS true!

• natstowngreg - May 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Dibble is too easy a target for Craig to resist. Dibble’s stuff practically posts itself.

5. goskinsvt - May 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

What a douchenozzle.

6. randygnyc - May 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Didn’t understand his reference to Beckett, other than calling him an a-hole? Any insights?

• skeleteeth - May 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Maybe it was the strike zone he was pounding all night ZING?

• nightman13 - May 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I believe he was referring to Beckett getting ripped a new a-hole for letting something non baseball related potentially hamper his performance, yet nobody is doing the same to Stras (or whoever put the stuff in his strap.)

Only difference is choosing to play golf when you are “nursing” an injury and getting a day off is different than a prank being pulled by guys in the clubhouse. But Dibble is too stupid to realize it.

• someguyinva - May 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

There’s been no talk from the Nats about the Hot Stuff thing being a prank. Tom Boswell blamed it on the rain diluting the stuff and making it run from where it had been applied to places it shouldn’t be – http://wapo.st/JGxKti

Of course, it’s *possible* that this is all a coverup and no one wants to see a teammate thrown under the bus for such a thing, but putting Hot Stuff in the starting pitcher’s jock before the game doesn’t sound like something any ballplayer with more than four functioning brain cells would do.

• 18thstreet - May 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Sounds like something young men with money and free time would do.

• nightman13 - May 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

My mistake. Anytime I hear Bengay or Icy Hot in a jock I always assume it’s a prank. It didn’t sound like the smartest prank to pull on a starting pitcher, but as Rob Dibble constantly reminds us, people say/do stupid things.

7. trevorb06 - May 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Ron Dibble: If you couldn’t make it in baseball, let’s just poke fun at others who are making it.

8. El Bravo - May 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Sorry everyone, I can’t add him to the douchenozzle list twice in one year. Although, he’s making a case for it.

• pharmerbrown - May 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Back when Schilling was being himself and talking about the Red Sox and Bobby Valentine (I’d embed something, but I don’t know how), Johnny5 nominated him for Perpetual Douchenozzle, and ditto and cur suggested similar titles. But at least Schilling was a good-enough pitcher. I think we need a new caetgory for former- or washed-up players who never amounted to anything acting douchey, like Douchenozzle-by-proxy. In that case, could Dibble assume the title of “Biggest Douchenozzle-by-proxy EVER”

• hasbeen5 - May 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Give him the “C” to wear on his jersey.

9. mybrunoblog - May 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM

When friendly dogs see Rob Dibble walking down a street they suddenly turn vicious and try to bite Dibble. Soon after Dibbles passes the dogs return to normal. Now science can’t explain this but the dogs know. The dogs know…..

10. davebrownspiral - May 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Rob Dibble sucks

11. mdpickles - May 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM

This site does not need to post Dibble dribble anymore.

12. Gobias Industries - May 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Rob Dibble strikes me as the kind of guy that thinks professional wrestling is real.

• chadjones27 - May 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You mean it’s not?

13. jimw81 - May 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Who’s Rob Dibble?

14. nepo784 - May 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Who’s Rob Dribble?

• Gamera the Brave - May 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Who is John Galt?

• ravenscaps48 - May 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Who is Mike Jones?…… I give myself a thumbs down for that!… Pardon me, I grew up with that “Rap Artist”

15. larryboodry - May 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

If I recall, Dibble had a 100-mph fastball and a nasty temper…Two good seasons as a closer for the Reds, out of only seven seasons played at the MLB level.

16. mungman69 - May 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Rob Dibble=Jerk

17. drewsylvania - May 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Dibble probably sees the pitcher he always wanted to be, in Strasburg. Sounds like jealousy to me.

18. hushbrother - May 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM

“Many players are able to channel their neuroses into their efforts on the field. Dibble is the first to ever successfully channel a psychosis.” – Bill James

19. sabatimus - May 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I’m not even going to read the above comments, but I already know that there’s at least one about jealousy. And now there’s at least two. Because that’s EXACTLY what it is: jealousy. Dibble comes off as a jealous little kid who’s craving airtime (and getting it via this story).

20. willsolo - May 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Remember when Rob Dibble was relevant? Yeah, neither do I.

• ravenscaps48 - May 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

He was the 4th Funniest Co-Host on Best Damn Sports Show Period… Which I think is equal to 8th Place in the 7th Grade Geography Bee

21. yahmule - May 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

The play that summed up Rob Dibble’s (lack of) character came in a game against Chicago. Tiny Doug Dascenzo dropped a perfect bunt that Dibble had to move his fat ass off the mound to field. When he saw Dascenzo would be safe easily, Dibble grabbed the ball and deliberately fired it at his back. It was a totally classless cheap shot and showed Dibble’s utter lack of respect for the game and his fellow players.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3457)