May 16, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero‘s comeback is officially underway, as the former MVP reported to the Blue Jays’ minor-league complex in Florida yesterday after signing a minor-league contract last week.
When asked how Guerrero fits into the Blue Jays’ plans general manager Alex Anthopoulos made it very clear that they view the 37-year-old as a low-cost flier who must play his way back to the majors, saying: “I have no idea how he’s going to perform. There’s no point in even spending time on that because I don’t even know what we have.”
John Farrell was slightly more optimistic about Guerrero eventually joining Toronto’s lineup, but the manager also left open the possibility that the Blue Jays will decide he’s not worth adding.
For now he’ll work out and try to get into game shape, with Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reporting that there’s no immediate timetable for his minor-league debut and Guerrero definitely won’t be an option for a call-up until June.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)