May 17, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
“How are you supposed to have a professional at-bat with these umpires nowadays? Gosh. The first pitch in my last at-bat wasn’t even close. You’re up there, trying to have a professional at-bat and look for a pitch to hit and that’s called? So it puts you in swing mode, the guy throws a good split and all of a sudden you’re 0-2. It should have been 1-0 and then he probably doesn’t throw a split. Unbelievable.
“In that at-bat I went up there looking for a fastball middle away. I got a fastball way away. You can’t swing if it’s not a strike. You’re looking for a pitch middle away, and it’s away and you know you can’t swing because it’s off and you’re 0-1.”
MLB doesn’t like it when people criticize the ump, but hey, at least he didn’t throw his helmet or anything.
Gonzalez was then asked if problems with the strike zone are what has led to his lack of power this year:
“No. I’ll start hitting home runs. I’ll hit a homer tomorrow.”
We’re watching, Adrian! Good luck!
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)