May 17, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
“How are you supposed to have a professional at-bat with these umpires nowadays? Gosh. The first pitch in my last at-bat wasn’t even close. You’re up there, trying to have a professional at-bat and look for a pitch to hit and that’s called? So it puts you in swing mode, the guy throws a good split and all of a sudden you’re 0-2. It should have been 1-0 and then he probably doesn’t throw a split. Unbelievable.
“In that at-bat I went up there looking for a fastball middle away. I got a fastball way away. You can’t swing if it’s not a strike. You’re looking for a pitch middle away, and it’s away and you know you can’t swing because it’s off and you’re 0-1.”
MLB doesn’t like it when people criticize the ump, but hey, at least he didn’t throw his helmet or anything.
Gonzalez was then asked if problems with the strike zone are what has led to his lack of power this year:
“No. I’ll start hitting home runs. I’ll hit a homer tomorrow.”
We’re watching, Adrian! Good luck!
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 2
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 22
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 22
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)