May 17, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
“How are you supposed to have a professional at-bat with these umpires nowadays? Gosh. The first pitch in my last at-bat wasn’t even close. You’re up there, trying to have a professional at-bat and look for a pitch to hit and that’s called? So it puts you in swing mode, the guy throws a good split and all of a sudden you’re 0-2. It should have been 1-0 and then he probably doesn’t throw a split. Unbelievable.
“In that at-bat I went up there looking for a fastball middle away. I got a fastball way away. You can’t swing if it’s not a strike. You’re looking for a pitch middle away, and it’s away and you know you can’t swing because it’s off and you’re 0-1.”
MLB doesn’t like it when people criticize the ump, but hey, at least he didn’t throw his helmet or anything.
Gonzalez was then asked if problems with the strike zone are what has led to his lack of power this year:
“No. I’ll start hitting home runs. I’ll hit a homer tomorrow.”
We’re watching, Adrian! Good luck!
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 15
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)