And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

May 17, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT

Atlanta Braves v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

Rockies 6, Diamondbacks 1: I took my bike out for a spin for the first time in a while last evening. It was a nice ride on a nice night. At least apart from the crazy, over-the-handlebars wreck I got into at the corner of Alpath and Johnston Road. There were no apparent injuries at the time — not even a scrape — and I got up and rode away before anyone saw me. But as I went to bed last night my ankle became very grouchy and it hurts like the dickens this morning. It’s basically telling me “stick to the treadmill, old man.”  Meanwhile, a nearly 50 year-old man in Colorado pitched effective ball into the seventh inning and drove in two by hauling ass down to first on an infield single. Sigh.

Rangers 4, Athletics 1: I watched a lot of this and I can offer you my expert opinion: Yu Darvish is pretty good. He moves his record up to 6-1 after seven and two-thirds innings of one-run ball.  Bonus: at one point during the game the Rangers announcers had an extended conversation about the rapper B.o.B., which is something I didn’t need to hear.

Indians 9, Mariners 3: It’s not often you see a line like this from Felix Hernandez: 3.2 IP, 10 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 3 BB and only three strikeouts. Eric Wedge after the game: “Felix just had an off-day. He’s human. I think sometimes we forget about that.” It’s easy to forget that, actually. Normally it takes only twenty, thirty questions, cross-referenced, to figure that out. With Hernandez it took 100. Wait … he doesn’t know, does he!

Marlins 8, Braves 4: Miami stays hot, notching their 12th win in 15 games in the month of May. Mike Minor has another ugly start for the Braves. Freddi Gonzalez gave him a vote of confidence after the game, but I see Gwinnett in his future.

Reds 6, Mets 3: Todd Frazier hit two homers. The second off of D.J. Carrasco, who got released right after the game. A heckuva couple of nights for Carrasco.

Astros 8, Brewers 3:  Carlos Lee drove in three and Bud Norris pitched seven strong. The Astros — who were supposed to be historically bad — and the Brewers — who were supposed to contend — have the same 16-21 record.

Blue Jays 8, Yankees 1: Hiroki Kuroda was shellacked and Kyle Drabek … wasn’t. Homers from Edwin Encarnacio, Jose Bautista, Kelly Johnson and J.C. Arencibia.

Nationals 7, Pirates 4: Adam LaRoche had a double a homer and four driven in. Gio Gonzalez struck out ten in seven innings. Four runs is something of an offensive outburst for the Pirates lately.

Phillies 9, Cubs 2: It was tied up heading into the eighth and then Philly scored seven runs in the last two innings. Hector Luna hit a grand slam and Carlos Ruiz hit a homer of his own. Meanwhile, Placido Polanco left the game in the seventh with a knee contusion. Because the Phillies need more injured infielders. The Phillies are at .500.

Twins 11, Tigers 7: Is it time to press the panic button yet?  Kinda feels like it. As was prophesied in the spring, horrible defense — every member of the Tigers infield committed an error — made Rick Porcello‘s night harder than it needed to be, which is saying something given that he kinda stunk anyway. Oh, and Austin Jackson left with an injury, and he’s been hitting better than just about anyone on that squad.

Rays 2, Red Sox 1: There was a scary moment when Will Rhymes passed out after taking first base upon being hit by a pitch on the forearm in the bottom of the eighth.  As Marc Topkin reports, when he came-to, the medical staff asked him what his name was and he said “Batman.” Granted, Batman didn’t even pass out when the leader of the Mutants nearly killed him in “Dark Knight Returns,” so no fastball is gonna give him trouble, but we’ll give Rhymes credit for pluck.

Padres 4, Dodgers 2: Chase Headley homered, doubled and drove in three. If was his fifth homer of the year. Last year he hit only four.

Orioles 4, Royals 3: 0 for 6 while stranding a bunch of runners through the first 14 innings? No worries, Adam Jones hit a homer in the 15th to lift the O’s to victory in a mini-marathon. I say mini, because they had that 17 inning game against the Red Sox less than two weeks ago. I guess it’s their thing.

Cardinals 4, Giants 1: David Freese hit a go-ahead solo home run in the seventh and Skip Shumaker pinch hit in the eighth and delivered with a two-run double. Jaime Garcia struck out nine.

Angels 7, White Sox 2: More signs of life from Albert Pujols. Three hits on Tuesday and a three run homer in this one. And a study in contrasts: Jerome Williams allowed ten hits and only two runs. Gavin Floyd allowed ten hits and seven runs.

1. fellspointbird - May 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Excellent Bladerunner reference.

2. proudlycanadian - May 17, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Bautista is finally beginning to get hot. E5 is in second place in the AL in both Home Runs and RBIs.

As I outlined in your Brett Lawrie thread, there is video evidence that Bill Miller probably planned to call pitch 6 to Lawrie a strike whether it was or wasn’t. During the blown call on pitch 5 Lawrie showed his usual hustle and began to run to first. After the boneheaded strike call by Bill Miller, Rodney started jawing at Lawrie. Miller signaled to Rodney to tell him to be quiet and then pointed to himself to indicate that he would take care of Lawrie. It was easy to conclude that Miller was going to call the next pitch a strike regardless of its location. After pitch 6 which was high, Lawrie once again began to run to first, Miller called strike 3 and threw Lawrie out of the game for allegedly arguing balls and strikes. In effect, Lawrie was tossed from the game for attempting to run to first on ball 4. That was a bull shit call and Lawrie then threw his helmet in anger. The ump made several mistakes and Lawrie only made 1. It is Miller who should be fined and suspended. In my opinion, Miller falsely assumed that Lawrie was trying to show him out and wrongly tossed him out of the game. It was the umpire who first broke the written rules and started the ruckus.

• The Baseball Idiot - May 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM

What other conspiracy theories do you believe in?

Dumbass.

• proudlycanadian - May 17, 2012 at 7:18 AM

A strange comment from an idiot.

• indaburg - May 17, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Ever hear of the phrase, “agree to disagree”, proudly? Let it go.

• proudlycanadian - May 17, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Have an open mind and look at the evidence. Look at the video provided by Craig. Lawrie was not tossed for throwing his helmet. He had already been tossed for allegedly arguing balls and strikes. The was the third horse dung call by the ump. Running to first because the pitch was high and should have been called a strike is not arguing balls and strikes. Unfortunately, US fans do not have access to the video shown by Sportsnet last night that showed what went on between pitches 5 and 6.

• wlschneider09 - May 17, 2012 at 8:05 AM

PC, we love you man, but you’ve beaten this horse into dogfood 16 times over. Lawrie got a bad call then a borderline bad call (bad show), blew up in response (worse show) and got punished accordingly I think. No conspiracy, and even if there was you don’t get to act like that without consequences.

• proudlycanadian - May 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM

The US media has got this one wrong. Lawrie was not tossed because he threw his helmet. He was tossed for allegedly arguing balls and strikes. He threw his helmet after that BS move by the umpire. Both pitches were balls and Lawrie did not argue balls and strikes. All he did, was begin to run to third base because the pitches were balls. That does not constitute arguing balls and strikes. The umpire was clearly at fault more than Lawrie.

• phillyphreak - May 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM

We get it. You’re a total homer.

• proudlycanadian - May 17, 2012 at 7:18 AM

As if Philly fans are not homers.

• paperlions - May 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Which in no way, shape, or form negates the validity of the statement….just like no bad call on a pitch justifies Lawrie’s outburst. Two wrongs are two wrongs, not one wrong and one excuse.

• proudlycanadian - May 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM

There were 3 bad calls in a row.

• paperlions - May 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Now you are just making shit up. There was one bad call. The last pitch was at the top of the zone and could have gone either way (the plots in pitch FX plot the center of the ball, so some of the ball did catch the top of the zone).

I assume you get this up in arms when bad calls go in the Jays favor, since you are such an advocate of fairness and accurate calls and not just a giant embarrassing homer.

• paperlions - May 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM

*sticks fingers in ears*

la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

- proudlycanadian

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM

…and totally full of shit.

• fivetoolmike - May 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Gosh, that horse corpse is unrecognizable at this point. And you’re still wrong.

• proudlycanadian - May 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Nope. The umpire let his ego get the best of him and made 3 horse dung calls in a row against Lawrie.

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Let’s not waste that horsemeat, Feelies fans. Velveeta™ is on sale at Winn-Dixie this week. Proudly, you n’ me will stick with smoked meat sandwiches.

• yankeefanincolo - May 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

At the risk of incurring the ire of those who disagree with you, Proudly, I’ll have to admit that the first time I saw the video of those called second and third strikes on Lawrie, and without seeing the graph that showed the 3rd strike was borderline, my initial reaction was that Miller called strike three on an obviously out-of-the-zone pitch, and that he intended to show Lawrie what happens when you show him up.

Again, that was my initial reaction, and after seeing the slow-mo and the graph I realize it was a pitch that could have been called either way, but I also think that anything anywhere close was going to get Lawrie rung up.

• tbk106 - May 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Funny that people actually think umps don’t call balls a strike on purpose when they’re po’d at a player. I believe that if you look around at the ump boards you’ll see that 3rd strike call being referred to as a t-ball FU call. you could also listen to the interview with former umpire Jim Mckean on fan590, where without saying it directly, alludes to those calls being made ; even mentions how a batter heading to first before he called the pitch infuriated him. Also mentions how Miller will be disciplined behind closed doors for that ab.

it was bush league all around.

3. lapsncaps - May 17, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Um, Craig…Where are the O’s and their 15 inning comeback?

• harrysatchel - May 17, 2012 at 7:52 AM

3rd from the bottom, slick.

• proudlycanadian - May 17, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Craig revised his comments after he woke up.

• harrysatchel - May 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

My apologies, I stand corrected.

4. darthicarus - May 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM

This year’s Tigers team is reminding me way too much of the ’07 squad. Everyone predicted about 15000 runs and a runaway of the division, that didn’t end so well. It is only mid-May but damn those guys are frustrating to watch.

5. rockthered1286 - May 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Going into the 9th inning down 3-1 against Broxton who’s looked back to his old form this season, and somehow the O’s pull one out of their arse in 15. Great game, my only criticism is pulling Hunter after 7 and only 82 pitches and for once, NO homers allowed! I guess I could also jump on the fact that the O’s had 14 K’s, and left I think 8 in scoring position…but every W matters for a team looking to break .500 for the first time in eons.

• rockthered1286 - May 17, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Oh and Nicky’s poor excuse for an attempted steal of third in the eigth after an RBI double. Weak sauce. Especially given no outs, man on second, Jones at bat. And he wasn’t even close.

• harrysatchel - May 17, 2012 at 8:01 AM

The sad part of that play is that if he had just waited one more pitch, Wieters would have gotten him there.

• psuravens19 - May 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Yeah I didn’t get that either; I like aggresive baseball, but you need to be smarter than that. If Weiters gets a singles he stills scores from 2nd.

• paperlions - May 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Back to his old form? Broxton is striking out 1/2 as many batter as he was when he was good, he has just been lucky over a small sample size.

• rockthered1286 - May 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Allow me to rephrase: Broxton does not look like the Broxton of last year. Or the end of 2010.

6. aceshigh11 - May 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Lots of grumpy comments this morning…do we all need naps already?

• drmonkeyarmy - May 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I’m in perpetual need of a nap.

• wlschneider09 - May 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Amen, especially by Thursday

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I’m strobing lambda waves, as usual. Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…..

7. 4d3fect - May 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM

That’s Headley.

• jimbo1949 - May 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Thanks, Hedy.

• natstowngreg - May 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

+ lots to both for Blazing Saddles reference.

8. mybrunoblog - May 17, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Yankees couldn’t hit sand if they fell off the proverbial camel with RISP. Somewhere a very proud Doug Drabek is smiling and saying “that’s my boy”.
    Can’t fully explain it because I,m usually not a hater but why am I checking the box scores every morning and wanting to see Pujols pull a sweet 0-4 with two strikeouts?

9. nyetjones - May 17, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Craigers! Surely you realize Rhymes was paying tribute:

(If you don’t want to watch, it’s a ’90s commercial for Snickers featuring a joke about a concussion evaluation. The QB knows what day it is, knows his coach, but when asked who he is, he pauses, gets deep-voiced and says, “I’m Batman.” Props to Rhymes. Also, there is approximately NO chance this commercial would be aired during an NFL game in 2012).

• wlschneider09 - May 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I would like that. I would like to ride with Batman.

• indaburg - May 17, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I totally forgot about that commercial! Props to you, nyetjones, for getting Rhymes’ reference. You’re right that there is no way that commercial airs today. No one appreciates good concussion humor anymore.

• bravojawja - May 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Still one of my favorite commercials ever.

10. ajcardsfan - May 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Glad to see Garcia did good last night, that game was past my bed time

11. number42is1 - May 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Watching the replay it looked pretty scary to see Rhymes whole body just buckle and collapse. happy he’s ok.

12. Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Your Feesh moment of la mañana, peoples.

Matk Buehrle had one of his trickier outings but walked away with the “W” against the Braves last night, showing once again that in baseball there’s a weird, karmically determined equilibrium in play. In a game that saw one of the Iron Giant’s less impressive gophers – barely clearing the fence in dead left center – lucky fans were also treated to a neefty double steal pulled off by Omar Infante and the Komeback Kid, Jose Reyes. Infante took off for second, McCann lumbered to his feet and pegged a whiffleball down to second, whereupon Reyes bolted from third and scored while Pastornicky (is that really his name, Craig?) – or maybe Uggle (all second basemen and shortstops look like each other) tried to throw the ball, already sagging under the weight of the inertia imputed to it by McCann, took the local back to the catcher’s mitt. Now I’ve heard of bang-bang plays. I’d like to christen this one a shplat-shplat play. But I like McCann. He’s built like a Pacific headland and he’s maybe just a little bit less mobile. I guess he’s most useful when runners collide with him. Fortunately, whatever tectonic plate he was riding last night had rotated him about a yard out in front of home, so Reyes just kinda ran behind him and scored.

I will say this for Slobbering Ozzie – he’s got this team running its ass off. The Feesh lead the majors in stolen bases by about ten or so, and Emilio Bonifacio stole his 20th in a row last night. He has not yet been gunned down this season. You might as well try to spot a Higgs boson with one of those little plastic magnifying glasses from a Crackerjack box. Crackerjacks are going for, what, nine dollars a box or something over at Macondo Banana Massacre Field but look at it this way: the Nobel Prize comes with a million dollar stipend or something like that, which is ten million Kroner – that’s a lot of old ladies, wow – so if you do spot a Higgs boson with your little plastic magnifying glass, that’d be the best nine bucks (ninety Kroner) you ever spent.

Of course, if you pull one of those little plastic 45-RPM spinners that looks like a swastika with an arm amputated in a Stalingrad field hospital instead (for the butchery of which procedure, under harsh wartime conditions, all good Nazis are lining up to apologize to FrankVZappa, who believes that 45 RPM spinners are part of the great fascist conspiracy of silence – I mean, who plays 45s anymore?), well then, you’re royally screwed – out nine bucks, courting type II diabetes eating the shit inside the box, and having to watch some graduate student from Bangalore studying at Stanford on your tax dollars collect your Nobel instead. Tough world.

By the way, is anybody else going to the big Tyrannosaurus bataar auction on Sunday?

• jimbo1949 - May 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Beautiful, OG. Just sitting here chuckling.
      ps: Back in the paleolithic era we called them 45 adapters.

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM

That’s funny – the mafia guys also carried 45 adapters, yet Caruso was almost exclusively found on 33-1/3.

• stex52 - May 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

OG, are we going to have to end up modifying our Ozzie opinions? I’d hate to do that. Much more comfortable with mocking his off-field crap and living with a simple narrative. But it seems he is getting some performance improvement out of the guys. I hate it when things get complicated.

As to the T. bataar auction, I would love one of those things for my back yard. I will be in New York over Memorial Day, but I guess I will have missed the auction. Wouldn’t seem right, though, unless we got a hadrosaur for it to play with.

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

That’s a subject for the next off day. Remind me.

13. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - May 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Mike Minor has indeed looked lost in his last several outings for the Braves. I’m a little skeptical about their options if they do indeed demote him, though. Jair Jurrjens’ latest outing in Triple-A Gwinnett was fugly; 11 runs on 12 hits in 4 2/3 innings. With Vizcaino done for the year, you’re suddenly looking at Julio Teheran as your only call-up option. Teheran may or may not be ready … and if he’s not, you’re suddenly facing the prospect of stretching out Kris Medlen or (gulp) Livan Hernandez for a rotation spot. Rotation depth was supposed to be an overwhelming strength for this club; now it’s looking decidedly sparse.

• bravojawja - May 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Everything in Gwinnett is fugly. It’s gotten so bad up there they even took down the “Gwinnett is Great” water towers.

14. yankeefanincolo - May 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I realize it is only May, but can anybody tell me how Hiroki Kuroda is an upgrade over A.J. Burnette?

• El Bravo - May 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Because Hiroki can at least manage one quality start per month.

15. aceshigh11 - May 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Wow, not one comment on the awesome Jamie Moyer?

Okay, I’ll start: dude is an EPIC badass of extreme proportions.

• Leigh in CO - May 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Good work, aces. I could not agree more. Once the stress of watching him sprint to first wore off, the woo-hooing and fist pumping (“Two RBIs? Two RBIs!”) commenced.

• wlschneider09 - May 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

And I’m guessing that Jamie doesn’t need a nap today either. Epic badass indeed.

16. pw38 - May 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I can’t wait for Yu to wake up one August morning and step outside to it being 98 degrees at 8:30am and feel the punishment that is a Texas summer. Then and only then will we know what he’s made of. So far though I like what I’m seeing.

17. pw38 - May 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I can’t wait for Yu to wake up one August morning and step outside to a punishing 98 degrees at 9am and feel what it’s like to live in Texas during the summer. Then and only then will we know what he’s made of. So far though I like what I see.

18. spudchukar - May 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

San Francisco may need to alter its team name, after the line-up they sent out there last night. Anemic is inadequate, cause even the iron depleted cells have some strength. The Gigantos totaled 9 hits, but most were of the infield variety. Garcia pitched well but lets face it after Pagan and Posey the Giant attack, and that is certainly using the word loosely, wouldn’t scare crows.

St. Louis may have another injury, as Allen Craig may be DL headed again, after a hammy pull on a cold, and foggy night by the Bay. Tyler Greene decided a couple of steps into the outfield was too much for him, and Craig dove after a lengthy run from deep right field: result injured left hamstring.

The Cards are loaded for Buffalo offensively, and it is a good thing, cause the injury bug is swarming in alarming numbers. Tough assignment today with Cain on the hill. Time will tell if they are able.

19. hushbrother - May 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I HATE B.o.B.! That guy is a spastic skinny douche. I also hate that girl who sings about “airplanes and shooting starrrrs.” What’s wrong with people today that they would enjoy listening to music like that?

20. APBA Guy - May 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

It felt like I was watching my old JV team play last night with the Rangers, such is the impact of Kinsler being out on the roles of the Ranger hitters. It took them one rotation through the lineup to figure out Tommy Milone, and even then they didn’t demolish him, as he had some late break on his slider that kept the Rangers’ contact less than solid. The sight of Hamilton legging out his swinging bunt was frightening: a big man moving that fast-but with his injury history. Frightening. Beltre of course followed that up with a homerun for the Rangers lead. After that, it was all Yu. His early season issues with fastball command are long gone. And his pitch repertoire, once a distraction, has been simplified to maximize effectiveness. Very impressive, especially against one of the league’s weaker offenses.

21. kiwicricket - May 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I refuse to watch another Buchholz/ Red Sox game. Excruciating.

• aceshigh11 - May 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It figures that he finally pitches a solid game, and the Sox offense can’t spot him a measly 3 runs. At least it was a respectable loss.

22. natstowngreg - May 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

No catchers were harmed in the making of the Nats’ victory. Though Jesus Flores was hit by a pitch.

The Nats are in first place again. Trying to wrap my brain around the concept. But there’s a bad schedule stretch coming up, starting tomorrow with a “Battle of the Beltways” that actually means something. A month of playing divisional games plus the entire AL East.

23. dawglb - May 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM