Cubs patriarch Joe Ricketts is in need of “a literate” black man

May 17, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

Joe Ricketts Getty Images

Remember Joe Ricketts? He’s the patriarch of the Ricketts family which owns the Chicago Cubs. His son Tom runs the team, but old Joe’s fortune — made founding Ameritrade — is what built the family’s nest egg.

As we’ve noted before, Joe Ricketts is quite the political activist. He is the founder and leader of an anti-government spending group called “Ending Spending.” Never mind that his family business asked for and received millions for a new spring training facility in Arizona and continues to ask for tax dollars to renovate Wrigley Field. He’s really, really against spending. At least spending that benefits people other than himself and his family.

But now he’s branched out and is bankrolling efforts aimed directly at unseating President Obama.  Which is fine as far as it goes, but as the New York Times notes today, the kind of rhetoric he’s bankrolling is … interesting:

The $10 million plan, one of several being studied by Mr. Ricketts, includes preparations for how to respond to the charges of race-baiting it envisions if it highlights Mr. Obama’s former ties to Mr. Wright, who espouses what is known as “black liberation theology.”

The group suggested hiring as a spokesman an “extremely literate conservative African-American” who can argue that Mr. Obama misled the nation by presenting himself as what the proposal calls a “metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln.

Theory: if you specify that you need a “literate” black person — like you need to specify that you don’t want one of those many illiterate ones — you probably do need to “respond to charges of race-baiting,” because you probably are engaging in a bunch of racist baloney.

Anyway, it’s an interesting article. And a reminder that the patriarch of the Chicago Cubs is going to spend millions of his money to make people believe that Obama is an extreme radical black man out to undermine the American Way. If that’s something you believe, great. If not, perhaps a literate black man will change your mind.

Oh, and Joe: have you paid for Shawon Dunston’s college education yet? You don’t want him to be illiterate, do you?

156 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. yuazda - May 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM

“A metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln”

Oh, this should be good.

• l0yalr0yal - May 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

From Abraham Lincoln himself: “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

On another, somewhat related note, I cannot overstate the excitement I feel towards the upcoming “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” movie.

• ravenscaps48 - May 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

HAHAHAHA!!! I laughed HARD at this!

• nolanwiffle - May 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Will it finally be safe to wear my stovepipe hat again with no fear of ridicule?

• l0yalr0yal - May 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM

1860 will be the new 2013.

• purnellmeagrejr - May 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Hey: I am so resistant to the idea of introducing politics on HardballlTalk – regardlesss of whether I agreee with the slant of the article. I won’t even say whether I do or not.. It’s just that it opens things up for every dum bulb in the world to spew.

• l0yalr0yal - May 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hey.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I am a mirror and you are glue. Whatever you say to me bounce off ME and sticks to YOU!

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I am a mirror and you are glue. Whatever you say to ME bounces off and sticks to YOU.

• purnellmeagrejr - May 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM

stloius : It takes one to know one takes one to know one takes one to know one!!!!!!!!!!

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Are we really AGAINST electing another Lincoln? Is that a bad thing?

2. ss - May 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I know Obama’s a White Sox fan, but this seems a touch excessive.

3. mybrunoblog - May 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Come on man! Why delve into politics? Just going to creat negativity.
    For the record is was that national treasure Little Joey Biden who said ” I mean you got the first African-American who is Articulate and bright and clean and a nice looking guy”
    Look it up. By the way. Somehow this guy got to be VPOTUS.

• Marty - May 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I believen that was Harry Reid, and Sharpton was out the next day defending the comments.

You see, just as for Craig, most issues of race are political.

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yeah, let’s not create negativity. Let’s go back to Phillie Phan-baiting and Brett Lawrie. Because those were such feel-good topics

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM

TCM: That picture is clearly painted for all to see.
        In a nutshell…any viewpoint that opposes the “warm and fuzzy” crowd is a viewpoint that gets discounted as a fox news slanted opinion.
        Personally speaking…fox news gets on my phuqing nerves.
        I try to read, listen, and watch things from both sides. It allows me to more easily pound my opposing debater into the ground. It provides you/me with (at least) an appreciation from where the other side is coming from. Yahoo, CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc… ALL have their agendas. No different than HBT. This is clearly a far leaning liberal site. But that’s okay. Some of my closest friends are “warm and fuzzy” leaning liberals.

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Again, I don’t see any place in here where anyone is being called or portrayed as racist, other than Joe Ricketts. In fact, I pointed out that one can be both anti-Obama and anti-Joe Ricketts’ racist bullshit at the same time. So how is that painting all conservatives or not “warm and fuzzy” people into a corner. Meanwhile, you’ve misrepresented the thread by painting extremely broadly about its writers and commentariat, and suggested that you’ve been misrepresented and oppressed. Which I find highly ironic.

• cleverbob - May 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I don’t think it’s far leaning liberal at all. I think conservatives have done a fantastic job of painting moderate viewpoints that clash with their own as extremely to the left. It serves well to silence discussion.

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I have conservative friends, but I don’t spend time and energy trying to pound them into the ground. We talk about our kids, and the weather.

Isn’t that what normal people do?

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I think you’ll see that the vast majority of comments on here STL, go out of their way not to portray one side of the debate as inherently racist or brain-dead. I, for instance, pointed out that there’s plenty of room for a responsible conservative or independent to be both anti-Obama and the anti-the racist bullshit of Joe Ricketts. Meanwhile, you paint with fairly large brushes about how “warm and fuzzy leaning liberals” work, and make broad generalizations about this blog and its commentariat, while suggesting that opposing viewpoints are being misrepresented. I find that highly ironic.

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Sorry for the basic duplicate comment. The first didn’t show up for a couple hours for whatever reason.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Bruno: Shhhhh! The minions get flustered when you point out the other sides many unfortunate misgivings. They truly feel they can do NO wrong. To point these things out simply illustrates you can NOT think for yourself and you must be a racist, fear mongering, fox news hound.

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I must have missed that part of this comments thread. I must be blind to your oppression. Can you point it out for me, where you get called “a racist, fear mongering, fox news hound?”

• paperlions - May 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

If you are sensitive about being called a “racist, fear mongering, fox news hound”, then you probably are a racist, fear mongering, fox news hound….when something hits a little too close to home, people get defensive.

• pjmarn6 - May 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Would you expect anyone who works for nbc not to be liberal and not seek any opportunity to get brownie points from NBC by not criticizing anyone who is against OBUMMER?

From what I have seen on NBC AND MSNBC and the top execs who scream they are liberal, anyone who works at any position on NBC including sports has to shout he is a liberal too and take any opportunity to demonstrate it too.

Right CRAIG? HOW MANY GOLD STARS DID THEY PASTE ON YOUR FOREHEAD FOR THIS ARTICLE?

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hey, Craig — when you see Tony Dungy at the watercooler, tell him I said “hey.”

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

THEY USE STAPLES

• larryhockett - May 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Nothing establishes your credibility in a rational debate like referring to the President of the United States as “Obummer.” Please continue, pjmarn6, you have our rapt attention. Enlighten us.

4. Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Too funny. I can get them Ralph Ellison, cheap – and Stanley Crouch, much cheaper. The author of Ain’t No Ambulances For No Nigguhs Tonight and the interminable classic Don’t the Moon Look Lonesome is conservative, versed in Ebonics, and, obviously, beriberi literate in precisely the mien that Ricketts seeks. Unfortunately, Crouch once opined that he couldn’t see the point in having a useless nincompoop like Clarence Thomas on the Supreme Court, but Ricketts doesn’t sound like the choosy type. And he has got to love the title of Crouch’s career-defining book of social criticism, The Artificial White Man: Essays on Authenticity. Come on now – isn’t that going to sound like the very definition of Obama to a clown like Rickettsiae?

• nworca - May 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

The problem they face is not finding a literate African American, it’s finding an “extremely literate” conservative. Conservatives usually fall into the category of barely literate, with some in moderately literate, a few even just plain literate. But when a person becomes extremely literate, the rest of the conservatives label that person a liberal.

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

You’re right. I withdraw my offer of Ralph Ellison.

Nyuknyuknyuk….

5. atworkident - May 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

No wonder the Cubs never win.

6. lembeck4 - May 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Great piece Craig, well done. As for Rickets…….as the late, great Jim Garrison once said “What would you expect from a pig but a grunt?”

7. Marty - May 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Way to turn this blog into your personal soapbox.

• mckludge - May 17, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Um, aren’t all blogs personal soapboxes?

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

It’s not like he’s the owner of a paper mill. He’s the owner of the Cubs. What he does and says belongs here.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM

“I have conservative friends, but I don’t spend time and energy trying to pound them into the ground.”
        You are taking it waaay to literally 18th. Please know I stated “literal”…NOT “liberal.” Ha!
        Of course we spend our time talking about life, the kids, work, sports, etc…
        We also all happen to like a good debate. Our conservative/liberal split is pretty even. That makes for great debates.
        This usually starts after dinner…several cocktails…and the kids are all in bed.
        The Wives (mostly) migrate to another part of the house. And I don’t blame them!

• atlrod - May 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Yeah. Tacit racism is such a grey, personal issue. Why even talk about it?

• Marty - May 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

So, then you don’t mind if I comment bomb this blog with political topics from now on?

Commenters can derail the mission of a blog just as easy.

8. randygnyc - May 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

All my respect to Mr Ricketts. (although his wording was indelicate), I give him a PASS because his mission of trying to remove the Occupier-in-Chief is Righteous.

• aceshigh11 - May 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

IMPEACH THE KENYAN USURPER!

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Impeach the Kenyan/Indonesian/Muslim usurper with the Hawaiian birth certificate who attends a Baptist church and won a substantial electoral majority!

• purnellmeagrejr - May 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

aceshigh – you have violated the number one fule of the internet. Never use sarcasm – people are just too smart for it.

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Oh, well then let’s give the KKK a pass too, since they’re not fans of this President. Also, the Taliban and Al Qaeda don’t like Obama, so let’s let them off the hook for the terrible things they say and do.

Look, if you don’t like the President, that’s fine. But excusing Ricketts’ hypocrisy and racism because he’s on your side is idiotic. You can be both anti-Obama and anti-racist bullshitters like Joe Ricketts.

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I can, you can. RandyGNC cannot.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

It’s fine TCM. I did the same thing right above your post. I wish we could remove the comments when these things happen.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Dead on Randy. Although he could have certainly choosen his words better…the spirit of what he is trying to do is commendable. After all these years…I can now appreciate something about the Chicago Cubs. As a Cardinals fan…I never thought that would happen.

• nightman13 - May 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yes, commendable. Bathing in hipocracy and dabbling in racism.

9. yahmule - May 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Maybe Ricketts can champion a write-in campaign for Jesse Lee Peterson. Seems like his kind of black man.

Guys like Ricketts make me hope Hillary Clinton wins in 2016 and 2020, followed by two terms of Cory Booker.

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Two terms of Hillary Clinton strikes me as a little bit…severe.

• aceshigh11 - May 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Let’s cut out the middle man and skip straight to Cory Booker.

16 straight years of non-white rule would send most conservatives running for the nearest high-rise ledge…which would be an AWESOME sight to behold, now that I think about it.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hahaha! Wow Gator…maybe there is help for you after all.
        Please know with your background in Education I sincerely appreciate that you have been programmed to lean waaaaay…left. No fault of yours. I mean…we all tend to lean towards those who best butter our bread. Of course…I guess you could have always decided to teach/attend/lecture at private institutions. Hahaha!

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

stlouis1 – I lean in whichever direction it seems to me will accomplish something, and I lean away from politicians and political positions which strike me as being completely ineffectual or full of shit, no matter which wing they’re on. I find plenty to dislike on both sides. Hillary Clinton is a co-engineer, along with her corrupt sometimes-husband, of the disastrous banking and trading deregulation that made it possible for investment bankers massively to defraud the public and, hilariously enough, each other with packages of bad or even outright phony loans – and to suffer no legal consequences in the process – a disaster that Democrats have been gleefully blaming on Bush ever since. The right, on the other hand, spent so much time mislabelling these marauding free-marketeers as “liberals” and “socialists” that they stupefied themselves out of the fraudulent corruption of the very free market they claimed to stand for.

Like I said, poxes galore on both of their houses.

• Jonny 5 - May 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Why do you wish to punish us all because of Ricketts? What is this? Full Metal Jacket?

10. Ryan - May 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM

One of the unintended consequences of Theo going from the Red Sox to the Cubs: going from one of the most liberal ownership groups (http://www.campaignmoney.com/baseball/boston_red_sox.asp) to one of the most conservative. Wonder if that is jarring.

11. largebill - May 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Um, Craig, Shawon Dunston’s college has been more than paid for by his baseball employers. He was paid more than 25 million dollars in his baseball career. If Dunston chose to spend the money on something else that’s too damn bad.

As to Rickett’s, while it obviously makes for poor PR to use the words “articulate” or”literate” when discussing people of color, his including the word extremely as an adjective does somewhat mitigate it. In a way it is like differentiating between prospective employees for an office position. Proficient with office equipment means you can turn on and type in Word/Excell, etc. However, “extremely” proficient means you’re able to get the most out of the various computer programs and need almost no training to step in and do the job.

• Lukehart80 - May 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

If part of Dunston’s contract called for college tuition payment on top of his salary, and said tuition has not been paid for, his contract has not been honored. That may seem silly, but it’s true.

• jwbiii - May 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

High school players who have commitments to attend college are sometimes given college tuition clauses in their contracts. When the Cubs were up for sale, Dunston had his listed as a debit.

12. cleverbob - May 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

This is going to be the ugliest, filthiest election ever. Thanks for nothing, Supreme Court…

13. kopy - May 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

To be fair, they said they were looking for “extremely literate.” A minority of all Americans of any race fall into that category. It’s intentionally deceiving to suggest they were implying black folks are disproportionately illiterate. The majority of white folks I know don’t read/write/speak eloquently enough to make a career out of public speaking, either.

• Jonny 5 - May 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Kopy, that’s a very good point. The majority of Americans have terrible grammar and it’s getting worse. I hear adults saying O-M-G now. O. M. G.

• nworca - May 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Yes, and any person intelligent enough to be called “extremely literate”, would immediately be considered a liberal by conservatives.

• kopy - May 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Conservatives are stupid? Conservatives think liberals are smart? Liberals are smart? They’re all terribly broad generalizations, and bipartisanship is ruining this country.

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM

In other words, Rickettsiae is looking for what relict Knigts Templar Hinckle von Vampton in Ishmael Reed’s ( a “very literate Black person” indeed) great wonderful awesome novel Mumbo Jumbo referred to as “the Talking Android.”

No worries. Papa La Bas is paying careful attention to this entire fiasco. He will act when the time comes.

14. cleverbob - May 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Why would he need a literate spokesperson? No one cares what you’ve read in this day and age. In fact it could be a strike against you for being some kind of well educated snob.

15. skids003 - May 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Craig, come on now. This is a baseball website, not political, this has nothing to do with baseball. You sound like a liberal trying to nitpick someone’s words to make them sound racist. Let’s don’t go there on this website.

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Hi, you must be new around here.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I have been writing about off-the-field interests of baseball executives and players since the blog began. I’m not going to stop now.

• skids003 - May 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

So this has become your personal political blog. I am disappointed.

• Marty - May 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I’m not going to stop now.

I guess I’ll have to stick around to call you out.

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Craig, would you please stop writing about baseball figures who do things outside of baseball? I’d rather remain ignorant about this, and players’ drunk driving arrests, and when they beat their wives, and play in bands, and say funny things. That really gets in the way of my enjoyment of your blog, and of baseball in general.

• cleverbob - May 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

skids – You can always request your money back.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Craig: “You honestly think that a campaign to tar Obama with an association with a black church leader who has an allegedly radically-pro black agenda is designed to appeal to the black population?”
        Please don’t intentionally missinterpret or otherwise take what I said out of context Craig. You put words in my mouth. No…I didn’t say that.
        What I said was very simple. Having a Black Man serves as the spokesperson for this particular agenda will carry far more weight with the Black population.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Yes Skids…he does have a tendency to race bait. But he has always done this. I have learned to appreciate it. You know what you are getting. Although his bullshit Torii Hunter article still pisses me off.

• skids003 - May 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I have learnd that liberals do this in order to keep it stirred up. That way they always have a fallback when all else fails. They don’t want it to go away, it takes away a talking point. They continually bashed Bush about it when in actuality he appointed more people of diversity into his Cabinet and positions than the Democrats do. It’s just an attack point for the liberals.

16. Marty - May 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I’m calling more bullshit. Craig must be so elated at the donkey shaft up his ass that he cant think clearly about these issues.

Ricketts wants a man who is:

Black
    Conservative
    EXTREMELY Literate

Not a “literate black man” as Craig willfully misrepresents — an “extremely literate” man. Most men, black, white or whatever are not extremely literate.

I suppose if Ricketts put a job posting at Howard University asking that the applicant have sufficient math credentials, Craig would claim the implication is that blacks are poor thinkers.

Regarding the campaign Ricketts is launching against Obama, I disagree with the entire premise. Still, if you spend the 5 years prior to running for president in a church headed by a politically extreme pastor who dabbles in black separatism these criticism become fair game.

• The Common Man - May 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM

And if you spend time at Liberty University, whose founder was a supporter of Apartheid, thought AIDS was the vengeful wrath of God as punishment for homosexuality, and blamed “the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way” for 9/11, those criticisms become fair game too, right?

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

TCM: “The pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way.” Are you trying to tell me it isn’t all their fault? Just joking of course.
        Trying to lighten the mood a little.

• cleverbob - May 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Anytime I hear/read about pagans I think of Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks.

• xmatt0926x - May 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Agreed Marty. Craig is doing what most of us do when taking sides and that means being willing to maybe tweak something a little to suit our own needs. I think if you threw a couple beers down Craigs throat he might admit that he does understand what Ricketts meant by “extremely literate”, whether he agrees with his overall viewpoint or not. The point has been made well a couple times already. There are very few members of any race or any social class who can call themselves extremely literate. I for one have always just hoped that whoever was president would do as good a job as possible in what seems to be a thankless post. I do feel that President Obama has taken more personal attacks than most Presidents that I can recall in my adult lifetime and I do think racism is at the heart of a lot of it. That being said I think Ricketts may indeed be a jackass but I don’t think he meant to imply that most blacks are not literate.

• Marty - May 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Absolutely, xmatt. Craig puts in quotes “a literate” when the correct statement from Ricketts was “extremely literate”.

Craig’s brain registered a completely fictitious interpretation. He modified the quote with “a”, implying that Ricketts meant “if only there was a single literate black man”.

Craig Calcaterra, let me ask, you having law credentials — what is the penalty for willfully misquoting somebody in the media? Care to cover your ass now by modifying the headline to this entry? Or do the ends still justify your lying and hypocritical means?

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Thanks to the ruling Faux News won in the Supreme Court which confirmed that the media’s right to lie, however blatantly, is covered by the first amendment, there is no consequence for it.

• nworca - May 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM

You’re getting this all wrong. Rickett’s isn’t implying that that blacks are not literate. He just knows that conservatives are not extremely literate, because if they were, every other conservative would call them a liberal. David Brooks faces this problem all of the time.

• larryhockett - May 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Hmm, interesting point. Let’s try a little experiment to test your theory. What if the position was described as “an extremely literate, conservative, white man.” Yeah, that just doesn’t sound right, does it? Why is that?

17. jwbiii - May 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

J.C. Watts, maybe? He would (a) cost money and (b) may not quite line up ideologically with Ricketts. He’s a lobbyist now so enough (a) would probably override (b).

18. nicosamuelson2 - May 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

“Pres-O-Dent!”

man, that’s priceless.

19. tmohr - May 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I hear Herman Cain is looking for a gig.

• Old Gator - May 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

When he isn’t gigging his secretaries.

20. stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Paper: “when something hits a little too close to home, people get defensive.” You couldn’t be any further from the truth. I have 3 nephews who are black and was married to an Indian. As long as we have been communicating on this site you should know better.
    Come on Man. I thought you were better than that.

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Your three nephews are married to an Indian? Wow, traditional marriage is really under attack.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Hahaha! Yeah…no shit 18th. Ummm…NO. My niece has (3) black kids (which technically makes me their Great Uncle). I was married to an Indian. I knew I could count on you Man.
        I mean that. You actually made me laugh when I read your post. Thumbs up for you!

• paperlions - May 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Yes, it was a surprising comment to see you post. The fact remains that people are sensitive to be classified as something unpopular (e.g. racist, misogynist) even when it it true…and jumping from the original post to an assumption that those that disagree are racist fox news hound was a giant leap and unnecessary.

I apologize for painting you with a broad brush and am glad you are not a racist, fear mongering, so and so.

In general, I don’t watch US news because it is partisan, sensationalized crap no matter where you turn. Sadly, it is a fact that Fox “news” has no interest in fact or truth, they are actively pushing a specific agenda and consider everything, including fabrication and misrepresentation of fact to be tools of the trade. I am not saying other US news sources are not also doing this…they are all privately owned companies that can do whatever it is they want with their broadcasts. My issue with such “news” sources and people that swallow everything they say without thinking or bothering to verify facts is the denial that those “news” sources are what they so obviously are….which is biased, agenda-driven, propaganda machines.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I hear you. In a nutshell…when an opposing viewpoint is made.
        Clarification: When that viewpoint is right leaning in general…I (and many others)…get
        “Fox News huh?” Or “turn Fox news off.” Or…”You realize there other channels than Fox news right?” Sometimes they throw in the “prejudice much.”
        On other occassions it’s “keep striking the fear…Fox News Stile.”
        Let me clear…I do NOT watch Fox News.
        Other stations do it as well (as you stated above). Everyone has an agenda.
        I call it like I see it. It may be wrong. You (or others) may not agree.
        But I promise you it’s 100% genuine.

• skids003 - May 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I agree lions. NBC< CBS< ABC< CNN etc have become nothing more than propaganda machines. They print half truths, bend to their agenda, etc, etc. You are right, we should check for our own facts, not believe all the crap any of them put out.

21. atlrod - May 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Craig, you should call out liberal politicians to see how little people will care for talking about politics. No one cares unless it’s their guy getting mocked.

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I’m quite certain Craig’s gone after Henry Waxman for this steroids hearings, and Tom Harkin for his anti-tobacco work.

What’s different is that a couple dozen liberals didn’t respond with knee-jerk comments to those posts (with which I disagreed) by arguing that John McCain is a secret Muslim born in Indonesia. They got a modest number of comments, and we moved on with our day and our lives.

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

A modest number of comments from liberals questioning the premise of Craig’s posts, that is.

No post about steroids has gotten a modest number of comments.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Great point 18th. And I agree wholeheartedly. There is an older Gentlemen in my business who has a tendency to do exactly what you illustrated. I have been working with him a bit to try get him to tone it down. When you dig your heels in and start sensationalizing it comes across as fear mongering and people tune you out. That is why I shy away from Fox.
        Make no mistake…I am long time registered Republican who considers himself Conservative. But I just can’t take Fox seriously. They sensationalize with the best of them. Completely slanted…(like the rest of them).
        One final point…they couldn’t argue that about McCain as his middle name isn’t Hussein and his Father isn’t Indonesian. Hahaha!

• atlrod - May 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I actually meant to type “see how little people will care ABOUT talking about politics.” In other words, all the conservatives all pissed off because “their guy” was mocked and suddenly anti-political talk will clam up and be very much ok with the political talk they favor.

I could care less. I don’t really fall into either camp and I generally find politics to be disingenuous and dumb. Discourse in America is dead.

• 18thstreet - May 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Your choice not to participate only elevates the volume from those who do.

Democracy is not a spectator sport.

• stlouis1baseball - May 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Great point Altrod. It also plays right into what I was saying previously. It’s all good until you start mocking the “warm and fuzzy” party.
      Once that happens…you are a fear mongering, racist, fox news hound.

22. tuftsb - May 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Does Elizabeth Warren count as a literate person of color?

23. kopy - May 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Is it appropriate to put “in need of ‘a literate’ black man” in the headline when that’s not an accurate quote? The quote was “an extremely literate.” Maybe it should be “Cubs patriarch Joe Ricketts is in need of ‘an … literate’ black man.”

24. quizguy66 - May 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Cubs – losing since 1908, think like 1858.

-QG

25. quizguy66 - May 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Cubs – losing since 1908, thinking like 1858.

-QG

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2515)