May 17, 2012, 1:16 PM EST
Trevor Bauer is now one step away from the majors less than 12 months after being the No. 3 overall pick in last year’s draft, as the Diamondbacks have promoted the 21-year-old right-hander from Double-A to Triple-A.
Bauer struggled with his control at Double-A, walking 26 batters in 48 innings, but was nearly unhittable with a 1.68 ERA, 11.1 strikeouts per nine innings, and a .192 opponents’ batting average.
Toss in the seven starts he made late last season after signing for $7 million and Bauer now has 103 strikeouts versus just 60 hits allowed in 74 total innings as a pro. He’s one of the elite handful of pitching prospects in all of baseball and it’s only a matter of time before he’s headlining Arizona’s rotation.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)