May 17, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
My friends and I call it “trading up.” You’ve done it before. Don’t lie. A little late in a game. House only half full. You move down to better seats. No harm, no foul.
Officer Eduardo Cornejo had a legit ticket to the Mets’ sad 6-3 drubbing by the Cincinnati Reds, but ballpark management confronted him once they realized he was stretched out in a seat better than the one he had purchased.
“He was in a section he wasn’t supposed to be,” Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. “They asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. [A] supervisor asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. The uniformed police sergeant asked him to leave. He wouldn’t, and he was arrested as a result.”
Technically trespassing? Sure, if they asked him to leave and he wouldn’t. And of course I could get it if he was belligerent and they got him on a disorderly conduct. But really: calling the police on a guy for moving up seats? Why is anyone checking his tickets in the first place? According to the police report this was late in the game. On a night when the joint was officially half full, which meant by then it was probably way less than half full. Jeez, if that’s a crime I’d be in jail several times over.
And yeah, that’s “Officer Eduardo Cornejo” as in off duty cop. At least they’re not playing favorites. That’s the most you can say here.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights