May 17, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
My friends and I call it “trading up.” You’ve done it before. Don’t lie. A little late in a game. House only half full. You move down to better seats. No harm, no foul.
Officer Eduardo Cornejo had a legit ticket to the Mets’ sad 6-3 drubbing by the Cincinnati Reds, but ballpark management confronted him once they realized he was stretched out in a seat better than the one he had purchased.
“He was in a section he wasn’t supposed to be,” Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. “They asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. [A] supervisor asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. The uniformed police sergeant asked him to leave. He wouldn’t, and he was arrested as a result.”
Technically trespassing? Sure, if they asked him to leave and he wouldn’t. And of course I could get it if he was belligerent and they got him on a disorderly conduct. But really: calling the police on a guy for moving up seats? Why is anyone checking his tickets in the first place? According to the police report this was late in the game. On a night when the joint was officially half full, which meant by then it was probably way less than half full. Jeez, if that’s a crime I’d be in jail several times over.
And yeah, that’s “Officer Eduardo Cornejo” as in off duty cop. At least they’re not playing favorites. That’s the most you can say here.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)