May 17, 2012, 9:50 PM EST
My friends and I call it “trading up.” You’ve done it before. Don’t lie. A little late in a game. House only half full. You move down to better seats. No harm, no foul.
Officer Eduardo Cornejo had a legit ticket to the Mets’ sad 6-3 drubbing by the Cincinnati Reds, but ballpark management confronted him once they realized he was stretched out in a seat better than the one he had purchased.
“He was in a section he wasn’t supposed to be,” Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. “They asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. [A] supervisor asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. The uniformed police sergeant asked him to leave. He wouldn’t, and he was arrested as a result.”
Technically trespassing? Sure, if they asked him to leave and he wouldn’t. And of course I could get it if he was belligerent and they got him on a disorderly conduct. But really: calling the police on a guy for moving up seats? Why is anyone checking his tickets in the first place? According to the police report this was late in the game. On a night when the joint was officially half full, which meant by then it was probably way less than half full. Jeez, if that’s a crime I’d be in jail several times over.
And yeah, that’s “Officer Eduardo Cornejo” as in off duty cop. At least they’re not playing favorites. That’s the most you can say here.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 54
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)