May 17, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
My friends and I call it “trading up.” You’ve done it before. Don’t lie. A little late in a game. House only half full. You move down to better seats. No harm, no foul.
Officer Eduardo Cornejo had a legit ticket to the Mets’ sad 6-3 drubbing by the Cincinnati Reds, but ballpark management confronted him once they realized he was stretched out in a seat better than the one he had purchased.
“He was in a section he wasn’t supposed to be,” Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. “They asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. [A] supervisor asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. The uniformed police sergeant asked him to leave. He wouldn’t, and he was arrested as a result.”
Technically trespassing? Sure, if they asked him to leave and he wouldn’t. And of course I could get it if he was belligerent and they got him on a disorderly conduct. But really: calling the police on a guy for moving up seats? Why is anyone checking his tickets in the first place? According to the police report this was late in the game. On a night when the joint was officially half full, which meant by then it was probably way less than half full. Jeez, if that’s a crime I’d be in jail several times over.
And yeah, that’s “Officer Eduardo Cornejo” as in off duty cop. At least they’re not playing favorites. That’s the most you can say here.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)