May 17, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Here’s some rare good news for the Nationals on the injury front.
The original goal was for Michael Morse to be ready to return from his torn right lat on June 8 so he could be eased back into the lineup as the designated hitter during interleague play, but Nationals manager Davey Johnson told Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com today that the 30-year-old slugger hopes be ready as soon as June 1.
“That was my day [June 8],” Johnson said. “I threw that out there trying to give the trainers and the doctors a date that I wanted him back swinging, because he could DH against the American League clubs on the eighth. We’d been set for that for about three weeks, and he came to me and said: ‘When you come off the road trip, I’ll be ready.’ But he’s feeling his oats.”
Morse has only recently resumed swinging a bat and playing catch after being shut down in April, so there’s no guarantee he’ll be ready by then. He plans to go to extended spring training in Viera, Florida next week to get some at-bats and could head out on a minor league rehab assignment from there if all goes well.
Morse, 30, has a .298/.357/.539 batting line to go along with 46 homers, 136 RBI and an .896 OPS in 244 games dating back to the start of the 2010 season. He should provide a major boost to the Nationals’ offense, as their left fielders enter tonight’s action with a major-league worst .154 batting average and .511 OPS.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 37
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)