May 17, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
San Diego released the veteran second baseman after Hudson hit just .211 with a .260 on-base percentage and .317 slugging percentage in 35 games despite those league-leading five triples.
He wasn’t a whole lot better last season, hitting .246 with seven homers and a .681 OPS in 119 games to snap a streak of nine straight seasons with an OPS above .700.
At age 34 he may simply be washed up and there was almost zero chance of Hudson being claimed off waivers thanks to his $5.5 million salary this season and $8 million team option or $2 million buyout for 2013. However, now that the Padres have released Hudson and eaten his contract it wouldn’t be shocking to see a contender (the veteran-loving Giants, perhaps?) snatch him up on the cheap.
Hudson repeatedly had trouble securing multi-year deals as a free agent until the Padres surprisingly handed him a two-year, $11.5 million contract in December of 2010, and he ended up giving them 154 games of a .657 OPS for the investment.
UPDATE: San Diego will have a completely new double-play duo, as the Padres also placed struggling shortstop Jason Bartlett on the disabled list with a strained knee. Everth Cabrera, who was stuck in the minors after being arrested this spring, and Alexi Amarista, who was acquired from the Angels for Ernesto Frieri recently, were called up from Triple-A and figure to see most of the middle infield action.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 12
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 77
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)