Put away the iPhone: Brandon McCarthy won’t need Siri’s help with Josh Hamilton

May 17, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT

siri

Last week after another of Josh Hamilton‘s monster games A’s right-hander Brandon McCarthy jokingly tweeted: “Siri, how do you get Josh Hamilton out?”

McCarthy is starting against the Rangers today and I’m not sure if his iPhone was much scouting help, but it turns out Hamilton is getting the day off. Oh well.

Actually, maybe it turns out that Siri can actually influence manager Ron Washington’s lineups. They should really make that into a new commercial starring Zooey Deschanel and Samuel L. Jackson. It beats ordering tomato soup, if nothing else.

Of course, “Siri, how do you get Adrian Beltre, Nelson Cruz, Ian Kinsler, Michael Young, and Mike Napoli out?” is also a very important question to which there have been very few answers.

1. El Bravo - May 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

The Texas Rangers are pretty damn good, huh?

2. number42is1 - May 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I want to marry Zooey Deschanel. seriously… i spoke to my wife about this and she said that if i can make it happen shes ok with it. I’ve seen 500 days of summer 500 damn times just for her.

• dowhatifeellike - May 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I’d prefer her older sister.

• number42is1 - May 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM

bones?

3. l0yalr0yal - May 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

“Brandon, I know it sounds like a joke, but…
    Calling Vin Mazzaro……..”

4. sknut - May 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM

What was the answer Siri gave to the question in the first place?

5. aceshigh11 - May 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Forgive me, but I feel the need to re-post this…

From Alien (1979):

(McCarthy as Ellen Ripley, and Siri as the android, Ash)

McCarthy: How do we get it out, it Siri? There’s gotta be a way of getting it out. How? How do we do it?
    Siri: You can’t.
    Parker: That’s bullshit.
    Siri: You still don’t understand what you’re dealing with, do you? The perfect hitting organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility towards a baseball.
    Lambert: You admire it.
    Siri: I admire its purity. A survivor… unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
    Parker: Look, I am… I’ve heard enough of this, and I’m asking you to pull the plug.
    Siri: [McCarthy goes to disconnect Siri, who interrupts] Last word.
    McCarthy: What?
    Siri: I can’t lie to you about your chances, but…you have my sympathies.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3658)