TBS will get the wild card single game play-ins; MLB Network to get some division series games

May 17, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT

old TV

MLB is going to hold a conference call for media to this effect here in a minute, but Richard Sandomir already has the scoop:  TBS will broadcast the two wild card play-in games in both 2012 and 2013.

On a personal level I like this because I simply prefer TBS’ baseball production to FOX’s. I will sort of regret not being able to hear Joe Buck talk about how the one-game playoffs are just like the NFL playoffs and how much better and exciting it is.

This, from MLB’s press release that just came in, I’m less happy about:

MLB Network will exclusively televise two Division Series games in each of the next two years, marking the first time MLB Network will air live Postseason games. MLB Network has produced weekly original game telecasts since its inaugural season in 2009.

As a person who has one of the few cable carriers in the country who does not carry MLB Network, allow me to say: bah!

UPDATE:  I was just informed — by a friend at MLB Network of all places — that my cable company does have it.  It’s only in single def, so it’s not ideal, but I do have it.  Amazingly, my cable company never mentioned it and still says “we’re working on it” when I call them to ask them to carry MLB.  So I guess if they themselves didn’t know they had it, I can be excused for not realizing I had it.

1. natstowngreg - May 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Same as when the NFL chose to provide its equivalent of MLB Extra Innings on the dish. They chose the broadcasting option designed to reach the fewest fans.

2. El Bravo - May 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

So I wonder if I purchase the MLB.tv postseason package if they will still black out the TBS games, making the purchase pretty worthless….bah indeed.

3. plummer2512 - May 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I have no problem with this but of course I have the MLB Network. Hopefully this will force cable providers to get MLB Network or those without the station to get it as well.

I love that Buck won’t be telecasting the games. He makes my ears bleed.

4. dwrek5 - May 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I was hoping TruTV would get a shot so I could see countless commercials for LizardLick Towing and Hardcore Pawn. Shucks!

• willsolo - May 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM

It’s all about South Beach Tow buddy…

5. ll8078 - May 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I thought the MLB was better than this.

6. randygnyc - May 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Every game that will ever be played without Buck and McCarver broadcasting, will be a joy to watch.

7. drewmunny - May 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Cable carrier? Direct TV. Done and done.

8. The Rabbit - May 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I’m jealous. My cable carrier doesn’t offer the MLB network here in Brigadoon. It’s too busy changing its name so it sounds like a media provider.

9. xmatt0926x - May 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I don’t mind the TBS game crews. It’s that awful post-game show I can’t take. It’s so bland. The only guy with any personality is David Wells and his analysis is brutal. He’s like a guy who just had a few too many drinks at a bar, which is fine, but it makes for bad game analysis.

10. foreverchipper10 - May 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Come on Craig, the Braves fan in you is also a little nostalgic towards games being televised on TBS. Don’t hide it.

11. hojo20 - May 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I’m not paying for an extra tier of cable just for a couple games on MLB. Let me know who wins.

12. Reflex - May 18, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Sucks for people who do not have cable or sat tv at all. Like me. As much as I hate 99% of what is on Fox, baseball is the one thing I watch from them.

13. lukeslice - May 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM

This is fantastic news for all of us that look forward to Eckersley’s feathered and lethal hair!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5454)