May 17, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
MLB is going to hold a conference call for media to this effect here in a minute, but Richard Sandomir already has the scoop: TBS will broadcast the two wild card play-in games in both 2012 and 2013.
On a personal level I like this because I simply prefer TBS’ baseball production to FOX’s. I will sort of regret not being able to hear Joe Buck talk about how the one-game playoffs are just like the NFL playoffs and how much better and exciting it is.
This, from MLB’s press release that just came in, I’m less happy about:
MLB Network will exclusively televise two Division Series games in each of the next two years, marking the first time MLB Network will air live Postseason games. MLB Network has produced weekly original game telecasts since its inaugural season in 2009.
As a person who has one of the few cable carriers in the country who does not carry MLB Network, allow me to say: bah!
UPDATE: I was just informed — by a friend at MLB Network of all places — that my cable company does have it. It’s only in single def, so it’s not ideal, but I do have it. Amazingly, my cable company never mentioned it and still says “we’re working on it” when I call them to ask them to carry MLB. So I guess if they themselves didn’t know they had it, I can be excused for not realizing I had it.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)