May 17, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
MLB is going to hold a conference call for media to this effect here in a minute, but Richard Sandomir already has the scoop: TBS will broadcast the two wild card play-in games in both 2012 and 2013.
On a personal level I like this because I simply prefer TBS’ baseball production to FOX’s. I will sort of regret not being able to hear Joe Buck talk about how the one-game playoffs are just like the NFL playoffs and how much better and exciting it is.
This, from MLB’s press release that just came in, I’m less happy about:
MLB Network will exclusively televise two Division Series games in each of the next two years, marking the first time MLB Network will air live Postseason games. MLB Network has produced weekly original game telecasts since its inaugural season in 2009.
As a person who has one of the few cable carriers in the country who does not carry MLB Network, allow me to say: bah!
UPDATE: I was just informed — by a friend at MLB Network of all places — that my cable company does have it. It’s only in single def, so it’s not ideal, but I do have it. Amazingly, my cable company never mentioned it and still says “we’re working on it” when I call them to ask them to carry MLB. So I guess if they themselves didn’t know they had it, I can be excused for not realizing I had it.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (124)