May 17, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
MLB is going to hold a conference call for media to this effect here in a minute, but Richard Sandomir already has the scoop: TBS will broadcast the two wild card play-in games in both 2012 and 2013.
On a personal level I like this because I simply prefer TBS’ baseball production to FOX’s. I will sort of regret not being able to hear Joe Buck talk about how the one-game playoffs are just like the NFL playoffs and how much better and exciting it is.
This, from MLB’s press release that just came in, I’m less happy about:
MLB Network will exclusively televise two Division Series games in each of the next two years, marking the first time MLB Network will air live Postseason games. MLB Network has produced weekly original game telecasts since its inaugural season in 2009.
As a person who has one of the few cable carriers in the country who does not carry MLB Network, allow me to say: bah!
UPDATE: I was just informed — by a friend at MLB Network of all places — that my cable company does have it. It’s only in single def, so it’s not ideal, but I do have it. Amazingly, my cable company never mentioned it and still says “we’re working on it” when I call them to ask them to carry MLB. So I guess if they themselves didn’t know they had it, I can be excused for not realizing I had it.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)