May 17, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
MLB is going to hold a conference call for media to this effect here in a minute, but Richard Sandomir already has the scoop: TBS will broadcast the two wild card play-in games in both 2012 and 2013.
On a personal level I like this because I simply prefer TBS’ baseball production to FOX’s. I will sort of regret not being able to hear Joe Buck talk about how the one-game playoffs are just like the NFL playoffs and how much better and exciting it is.
This, from MLB’s press release that just came in, I’m less happy about:
MLB Network will exclusively televise two Division Series games in each of the next two years, marking the first time MLB Network will air live Postseason games. MLB Network has produced weekly original game telecasts since its inaugural season in 2009.
As a person who has one of the few cable carriers in the country who does not carry MLB Network, allow me to say: bah!
UPDATE: I was just informed — by a friend at MLB Network of all places — that my cable company does have it. It’s only in single def, so it’s not ideal, but I do have it. Amazingly, my cable company never mentioned it and still says “we’re working on it” when I call them to ask them to carry MLB. So I guess if they themselves didn’t know they had it, I can be excused for not realizing I had it.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)