The White Sox lose coach Kevin Hickey

May 17, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

white sox logo

Kevin Hickey, who has served as a “pregame instructor” — basically a non-titled coach, right? — for the Chicago White Sox for several years died yesterday. From CSNChicago.com:

Kevin Hickey, who pitched on the South Side from 1981-83 and served as a pregame instructor since 2004, died Wednesday at Rush Memorial Center. He was 56.

Hickey was unresponsive in the intensive care unit at Rush University Medical Center after being moved to Chicago from Dallas in early April. He was taken to Parkland Hospital in Dallas on April 5 after missing the White Sox workout prior to Opening Day.

His death unleashed an outpouring of emotion from all kinds of people who have or had associations with the White Sox, from ownership to Ozzie Guillen to any number of players who worked with him.

Before coaching, Hickey spent some time pitching for the Sox in the early 80s. His career path was an unusual one. He never played high school ball and was discovered by the White Sox after showing up for a tryout one day. His experience before that was playing softball.

Even if you’ve never heard of him — and I can’t say that I did before I heard of his death — he clearly had a big impact on those who did know him. There are a lot of people like that.

1. seeinred87 - May 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Death sucks.

2. lembeck4 - May 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

16″ softball at that, which is an odd experience compared to traditional softball.

3. jwbiii - May 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

“Pregame instructor” means “batting practice pitcher.” He was very well liked. RIP.

• hickgrls - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Your a fricken idiot! really??

4. mybrunoblog - May 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM

56. Wow. Way too young. RIP amigo.
    I imagine the W sox will go black armband or wear his number stitched onto their jerseys in tribute.

5. rusust - May 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Craig, this obituary is worth a read:

6. foreverchipper10 - May 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

When I saw the headline I thought they lost their coach? Is he a superior hide and seek player or something? Boy was I sad when I opened this. Best wishes to his friends, family and the ChiSox organization.

7. stackers1 - May 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM

rusust

Your right, that article was excellent. What a story of up & down & up & down. He seemed like the kind of guy I’d like to have a beer with back in my drinking days.

Rest in peace Kevin.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3530)