May 17, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Even when the Twins pick up a rare win they still end up losing.
Blackburn admitted afterward that he was in a ton of pain during his pregame bullpen session, but chose to keep that from manager Ron Gardenhire and went on to allow six runs in two innings as his ERA ballooned to 8.37. And since his 2010 he now has a 5.31 ERA in 343 innings overall.
Minnesota also lost catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit to a calf injury and initially announced that he would be placed on the DL, but further tests apparently have them convinced he can rejoin the lineup before 15 days. Instead they put Blackburn on the shelf and called up outfielder Ben Revere from Triple-A.
Joe Mauer will see more action behind the plate for however long Doumit is out and there should be plenty of outfield starts for Revere as well, although Twins fans should also prepare for a whole lot of Drew Butera and his historically inept bat at catcher.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 59
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 50
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)