May 17, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Even when the Twins pick up a rare win they still end up losing.
Blackburn admitted afterward that he was in a ton of pain during his pregame bullpen session, but chose to keep that from manager Ron Gardenhire and went on to allow six runs in two innings as his ERA ballooned to 8.37. And since his 2010 he now has a 5.31 ERA in 343 innings overall.
Minnesota also lost catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit to a calf injury and initially announced that he would be placed on the DL, but further tests apparently have them convinced he can rejoin the lineup before 15 days. Instead they put Blackburn on the shelf and called up outfielder Ben Revere from Triple-A.
Joe Mauer will see more action behind the plate for however long Doumit is out and there should be plenty of outfield starts for Revere as well, although Twins fans should also prepare for a whole lot of Drew Butera and his historically inept bat at catcher.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)