May 18, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
It didn’t take Andy Pettitte long to find his mojo. He struck out nine in eight scoreless innings Friday as the Yankees beat the Reds 4-0 in the second start of his comeback.
The Reds’ dysfunctional offense was no better tonight with designated hitter Ryan Ludwick batting in Bronson Arroyo‘s place. Manager Dusty Baker’s switch putting Zack Cozart in the leadoff spot last month has produced disastrous results, yet he remains too stubborn to try something new. Cozart went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts tonight. The top five hitters in the Cincinnati lineup were a combined 1-for-15 with 10 strikeouts.
Pettitte excelled from the start tonight, just as he did five days ago against the Mariners. This time, he was able to keep it going through the middle innings. All four hits he allowed were singles, and he struck out just one. Unfortunately, the strikeouts did add to his pitch count, and at 115 pitches after eight, he wasn’t given the chance to go for his first shutout (or complete game of any type) since 2006. It was the first time since July 8, 2008 against the Rays that he finished an outing with eight scoreless innings.
Pettitte is expected to face the Royals next Wednesday in his third start back. Just like the first two, it will come at home in Yankee Stadium.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)