Brandon McCarthy on his argument with the ump yesterday: “I was being an a**hole”

May 18, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

Brandon McCarthy

As mentioned in ATH this morning, Brandon McCarthy got boned on a call and had a big argument with umpire Laz Diaz about it which led to his manager’s ejection.  That even forms the basis of the first post on his new blog, which looks like it’s going to be a place for some rare and refreshing honesty from a ballplayer.

After describing the play and the argument, McCarthy says:

Usually I enjoy swearing, but only on much friendlier terms. I was swearing at Laz like he had personally tried to screw me and now the more I look back at it, I was being an asshole. I could’ve sworn at him until my cerebellum melted, but what would that have solved? Nothing.

He the vows to keep it calm on the field and try to have rational debates when such instances occur. Which is a plan I hope works, though I have this feeling it will break down the first time Bob Davidson is involved. That’ll go like this.

Davidson: BALK!

McCarthy: Excuse me sir, I respect your call and will abide by it, but may I ask for some clarification regarding ..

Davidson: ARRGLEBARGLE FILTHANDFOUL $%^*&&#@!! YOURMOTHERARGGLEBARGLEYOURSELF, PUNK!

That aside, welcome to the blogosphere, Brandon.

1. mybrunoblog - May 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM

“Brandon McCarthy Got boned on a call and had a big argument with Umpire Laz Diaz about it which led to his managers ejection”
    I’ll tell ya, if that umpire had “boned” me I would be doing more than arguing.
    Craig ya better check the urban dictionary and get some guidance on “boned”

• nategearhart - May 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I’m sure he’s well aware of the 12-year-old definition.

• mybrunoblog - May 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Well I think Craig is from the Midwest where I suspect a lot of people think “boned” refers to what you do with a chicken after cooking it.

• stlouis1baseball - May 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Life long Midwesterner hear. “Boned” can mean many different things. Personally, when I was younger I used the word “Boned” in the context in which you use it. But it is a juvenile word so I fill a little odd using it now in that context. When referring to getting “screwed” by a call an umpire makes I use the word “hosed.” Clears things right up Bruno.

2. wendell7 - May 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM

“ARRGLEBARGLE FILTHANDFOUL” … lol, I love it.

I’m gonna use that in my softball game tonight if the ump makes a bad call.

• cleverbob - May 18, 2012 at 8:59 AM

“Filth flarn filth” is also quite effective.

• Gamera the Brave - May 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I would pay good money to sit and listen to Bill Cosby really swear. I’ve a feeling he’s really good at it…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 18, 2012 at 10:18 AM

It works great in domestic arguments, too.

3. snowbirdgothic - May 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM

To be fair, his manager did in fact swear until his cerebellum melted. Took about fifteen seconds; Bob Melvin’s cerebellum isn’t rated for anything over 55 degrees.

4. number42is1 - May 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM

why did you write “as*hole” the first time and “asshole” the second time?

• Gamera the Brave - May 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Exactly! It’s spelled asshol*…

5. hoober27 - May 18, 2012 at 9:33 AM

In light of the Lawrie meltdown, it’s refreshing to see an athlete reflect back on how he reacted in the heat of the moment and learn from it.

6. Ryan - May 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Just go for the gold: “Ni! Ni!”

7. vallewho - May 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Is Laz Diaz contrite for having boned Brandon McCarthy?

8. bigleagues - May 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I’m not so sure that McCarthy didn’t mean to say his “medulla oblongata”

• bigleagues - May 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

This was supposed to start with Captain Lou Albano’s rant at 1:50. Dang WordPress!

9. karaterobot - May 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I think the real takeaway here, is that Brandon McCarthy’s wife is wicked hot –

• bigleagues - May 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That’s a professional trophy wife if I’ve ever seen one.

10. APBA Guy - May 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM

After watching that play a dozen times, what looked like happened:

– the other umps had poor to no angles on the play
    – Laz had to move laterally to clear a sight-line from behind Zuk
    – in moving, his head was bouncing just enough to make it appear that the bounce in the web of the glove was a bounce off the turf
    – in slo-mo, you can clearly see Laz repeating over and over “It bounced. I saw it bounce.”

One of those things. He’ll see the replay and have a quiet word with McCarthy today.

11. nodaclu - May 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Possibly the best thing to come of all this is that a handful of national sportswriters have belatedly discovered that there’s a real, live Major League Baseball team in Oakland, with uniforms and everything!

This still isn’t a division winning ballclub, but with Cespedes, Ramirez, Braden and Anderson all due back in the next 1-7 weeks, it could at least be an interesting summer. Haven’t been able to say that as an A’s fan since 2006.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2842)