May 18, 2012, 8:22 AM EST
As mentioned in ATH this morning, Brandon McCarthy got boned on a call and had a big argument with umpire Laz Diaz about it which led to his manager’s ejection. That even forms the basis of the first post on his new blog, which looks like it’s going to be a place for some rare and refreshing honesty from a ballplayer.
After describing the play and the argument, McCarthy says:
Usually I enjoy swearing, but only on much friendlier terms. I was swearing at Laz like he had personally tried to screw me and now the more I look back at it, I was being an asshole. I could’ve sworn at him until my cerebellum melted, but what would that have solved? Nothing.
He the vows to keep it calm on the field and try to have rational debates when such instances occur. Which is a plan I hope works, though I have this feeling it will break down the first time Bob Davidson is involved. That’ll go like this.
McCarthy: Excuse me sir, I respect your call and will abide by it, but may I ask for some clarification regarding ..
Davidson: ARRGLEBARGLE FILTHANDFOUL $%^*&&#@!! YOURMOTHERARGGLEBARGLEYOURSELF, PUNK!
That aside, welcome to the blogosphere, Brandon.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)