May 18, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
As mentioned in ATH this morning, Brandon McCarthy got boned on a call and had a big argument with umpire Laz Diaz about it which led to his manager’s ejection. That even forms the basis of the first post on his new blog, which looks like it’s going to be a place for some rare and refreshing honesty from a ballplayer.
After describing the play and the argument, McCarthy says:
Usually I enjoy swearing, but only on much friendlier terms. I was swearing at Laz like he had personally tried to screw me and now the more I look back at it, I was being an asshole. I could’ve sworn at him until my cerebellum melted, but what would that have solved? Nothing.
He the vows to keep it calm on the field and try to have rational debates when such instances occur. Which is a plan I hope works, though I have this feeling it will break down the first time Bob Davidson is involved. That’ll go like this.
McCarthy: Excuse me sir, I respect your call and will abide by it, but may I ask for some clarification regarding ..
Davidson: ARRGLEBARGLE FILTHANDFOUL $%^*&&#@!! YOURMOTHERARGGLEBARGLEYOURSELF, PUNK!
That aside, welcome to the blogosphere, Brandon.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 28
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)