May 18, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
As mentioned in ATH this morning, Brandon McCarthy got boned on a call and had a big argument with umpire Laz Diaz about it which led to his manager’s ejection. That even forms the basis of the first post on his new blog, which looks like it’s going to be a place for some rare and refreshing honesty from a ballplayer.
After describing the play and the argument, McCarthy says:
Usually I enjoy swearing, but only on much friendlier terms. I was swearing at Laz like he had personally tried to screw me and now the more I look back at it, I was being an asshole. I could’ve sworn at him until my cerebellum melted, but what would that have solved? Nothing.
He the vows to keep it calm on the field and try to have rational debates when such instances occur. Which is a plan I hope works, though I have this feeling it will break down the first time Bob Davidson is involved. That’ll go like this.
McCarthy: Excuse me sir, I respect your call and will abide by it, but may I ask for some clarification regarding ..
Davidson: ARRGLEBARGLE FILTHANDFOUL $%^*&&#@!! YOURMOTHERARGGLEBARGLEYOURSELF, PUNK!
That aside, welcome to the blogosphere, Brandon.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 5
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 4
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)