May 18, 2012, 8:22 AM EST
As mentioned in ATH this morning, Brandon McCarthy got boned on a call and had a big argument with umpire Laz Diaz about it which led to his manager’s ejection. That even forms the basis of the first post on his new blog, which looks like it’s going to be a place for some rare and refreshing honesty from a ballplayer.
After describing the play and the argument, McCarthy says:
Usually I enjoy swearing, but only on much friendlier terms. I was swearing at Laz like he had personally tried to screw me and now the more I look back at it, I was being an asshole. I could’ve sworn at him until my cerebellum melted, but what would that have solved? Nothing.
He the vows to keep it calm on the field and try to have rational debates when such instances occur. Which is a plan I hope works, though I have this feeling it will break down the first time Bob Davidson is involved. That’ll go like this.
McCarthy: Excuse me sir, I respect your call and will abide by it, but may I ask for some clarification regarding ..
Davidson: ARRGLEBARGLE FILTHANDFOUL $%^*&&#@!! YOURMOTHERARGGLEBARGLEYOURSELF, PUNK!
That aside, welcome to the blogosphere, Brandon.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)