May 18, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Bob Davidson, the umpire with the absolute worst temperament in the game of baseball, has been suspended for a game by Major League Baseball. Why? For poor “situation handling.”
Umpire Bob Davidson has received a one-game suspension for his repeated violations of the Office of the Commissioner’s standards for situation handling, Major League Baseball announced today.
This is clearly the result of his run-in with Charlie Manuel the other day when, after Manuel barked something from the dugout, Davidson made a point to unleash an obnoxious and defensive expletive-filled rant at Manuel. Which is nothing new for Davidson. He has repeatedly picked fights with players and managers over the years, escalating situations that should have been innocuous and otherwise not acting like the voice of reason and authority that an official in any capacity — be they umpire, referee, judge, cop, teacher or parent — should be.
In case you haven’t guessed, I am pleased at the suspension. I am even more pleased at the fact that MLB has announced this discipline to the world rather than keep it quiet. The best way to improve officiating is to impose such discipline and to do so in a transparent manner.
Now: if only it was for more than one game …
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)