May 18, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Bob Davidson, the umpire with the absolute worst temperament in the game of baseball, has been suspended for a game by Major League Baseball. Why? For poor “situation handling.”
Umpire Bob Davidson has received a one-game suspension for his repeated violations of the Office of the Commissioner’s standards for situation handling, Major League Baseball announced today.
This is clearly the result of his run-in with Charlie Manuel the other day when, after Manuel barked something from the dugout, Davidson made a point to unleash an obnoxious and defensive expletive-filled rant at Manuel. Which is nothing new for Davidson. He has repeatedly picked fights with players and managers over the years, escalating situations that should have been innocuous and otherwise not acting like the voice of reason and authority that an official in any capacity — be they umpire, referee, judge, cop, teacher or parent — should be.
In case you haven’t guessed, I am pleased at the suspension. I am even more pleased at the fact that MLB has announced this discipline to the world rather than keep it quiet. The best way to improve officiating is to impose such discipline and to do so in a transparent manner.
Now: if only it was for more than one game …
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 162
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (162)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)