May 18, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
Chris Young is back from the disabled list after the Diamondbacks center fielder missed the past 28 games with a partially torn shoulder ligament.
To make room for his return Arizona optioned rookie A.J. Pollock back to Triple-A after he hit just .229 with one homer and a .611 OPS in 20 games filling in for Young in center field.
Young went 4-for-15 (.267) during a brief minor-league rehab assignment and all four of his hits went for extra bases, including a grand slam Wednesday. He was off to an excellent start before the injury, hitting .410 with five homers and a 1.397 OPS in 11 games.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)