May 18, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
Chris Young is back from the disabled list after the Diamondbacks center fielder missed the past 28 games with a partially torn shoulder ligament.
To make room for his return Arizona optioned rookie A.J. Pollock back to Triple-A after he hit just .229 with one homer and a .611 OPS in 20 games filling in for Young in center field.
Young went 4-for-15 (.267) during a brief minor-league rehab assignment and all four of his hits went for extra bases, including a grand slam Wednesday. He was off to an excellent start before the injury, hitting .410 with five homers and a 1.397 OPS in 11 games.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)