Dusty Baker has blown my friggin’ mind

May 18, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT

Dusty Baker Reuters

Dusty Baker is going to use Ryan Ludwick as his designated hitter against the Yankees this weekend.  This despite the fact that Ludwick is hitting terribly lately.  Why, Dusty?  Why are you using Ludwick?

“I know everybody wants me to play the guy who’s hot, but what happens when the guy who’s hot gets cold and the cold guy never gets lukewarm because he’s not playing?”

That was either the most insightful thing ever said or the most egregious case of double-talking horse hockey in recorded history.  And really, I could go either way with it.

(hat tip to reader Metalhead65 for the quote. He may hate the Beastie Boys and he may think Rush should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but he found me a humdinger of a quote here)

1. appanage - May 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

You sure that quote didn’t come from Yogi Berra?

2. Stacey - May 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Say what now?

3. Hoss - May 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

He’s no Jim Tracy. At least he doesn’t interview himself.

4. bobulated - May 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Rush should be in the RRHOF and Dusty Baker makes Fredi Gonzalez look like a tactical genius.

• nixonotis - May 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Considering the RRHOF is basically a joke at this point, sure, but Rush is a bloated, pretentious rock band who basically represent everything I hated about rock music at that time. Oh well, to each his own I guess. I’d still prefer Rush to whatever the hell it is the Red Hot Chili Peppers are doing.

• Jonny 5 - May 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I’m not sure how you can hate anything about the rock and roll from the time period Rush came about when compared to “rock and roll” of today. I mean It’s time to drive our Chevy’s to the Levy folks because Music has basically died and gone to heaven.

• chadjones27 - May 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Johnny there are some good bands out there. You probably won’t see the 6 minute guitar solo coming back anytime soon, but, there’s still some decent rock to be had.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Rush is a brilliant and remarkably talented band.

Also, Geddy Lee has been playing fantasy baseball since the 80’s. That’s awesome.

• lostsok - May 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Blondie is in the HOF. Two so-so albums and a couple of decent songs. Rush has been the best progressive band in music for 40 years.

It’s not even a little bit funny that they have been excluded. It’s basically the HOF saying progressive music–where the best pure musicians are found–is not as valid as…BLONDIE.

Puh-leeze.

5. darthicarus - May 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I’m sure there has to be a Dusty quote out there somewhere along the lines of, “why bring in a reliever and waste pitches from his arm? Kerry/Prior are going to eventually throw the pitches might as well let them go until their arms fall off”

6. motherscratcher23 - May 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Also, he’s not going to have to worry about Ludwick clogging the bases.

So there’s that too.

7. hfspodcast - May 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

This makes my head explode.
    Then again this is the same guy who pinch hit Willie Harris more than anyone else on the team and when asked about starting Willie Harris would reply “We got to get Willie Goin'” How going are you going to get a career .242 hitter?
    Answer you’re not. a career backup/.242 hitter should not make the difference between winning a division and not, but when you have a guy hitting below his weight or half his weight and he is playing every day that person can and will keep you from the post season.
    Then again this is the same guy who refuses to bat Bruce and Votto back to back to “Break up the lefties” when its proven time and time again that Votto doesnt care if someone is throwing the ball with their right hand, left hand, or their feet he will hit them.

8. skerney - May 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM

That Dusty’s incomprehensible is the underlying theme.

• wendell7 - May 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM

He’s been cast in this unlikely role, … ill-equipped to act.
      With insufficient tact!

9. ezthinking - May 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

How is it mind blowing when the Reds have nothing else on their bench? Who are you going to DH? Costanzo? Valdez? Cairo? There has to be a choice before a decision can be properly criticized.

Mike Leake is probably their best bat off the bench right now.

• contraryguy - May 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Where’s Dontrelle when ya need him?

• stlouis1baseball - May 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Hahaha! “Mike Leake is probably their best bat off the bench right now.”
      This makes my freaking day! I now take back my “hardthinking” comment I posted on the Chapman article.

• ezthinking - May 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

No worries; I can take it.

10. hiltonandastoria - May 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Under .500 since leaving the Giants Dusty Baker everybody
    No doubt the Reds will resign him this off-season to continue running the team to 75% of its potential

11. alexb64 - May 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

If McDonalds brought back the McDLT Dusty’s head would probably explode.

12. ezthinking - May 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Dusty’s problem is that Jocketty didn’t get any real bats in the offseason.

13. The Dangerous Mabry - May 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

How to be an effective big-league manager:

1) If a player gets hot, BENCH THEM IMMEDIATELY. You don’t want to take a chance of them getting cold.
    2) If a player is cold, ensure you keep playing them until they get hot. Then see #1.
    3) If a player is terrible, that’s just an extended case of #2 above. Keep playing them. Forever.

Works for Dusty, and it’s nice to hear him explain it so clearly.

14. drewsylvania - May 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

It’s actually fairly understandable to me–but if you have any player who’s upside is “lukewarm” on your team, you probably should play that player as little as possible.

15. koufaxmitzvah - May 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Dusty makes more sense than the DH.

Boom. Somebody had to say it.

• stlouis1baseball - May 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Hahaha! Sadly…you are correct Sandy.

16. T Pot - May 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The quote was actually about playing Ludwick over Heisey yesterday against the Mets. Either way, Ludwick is terrible

17. Fink - May 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Craig, here’s another one for ya before the Reds faced the knuckle-baller R.A. Dickey yesterday…

The key to hitting a knuckleballer?

“Look for a fastball,” Baker said.

First base coach Billy Hatcher throws a good knuckleball, but the Reds didn’t have him throw in batting practice.

“That don’t help,” Baker said. “Hit the fastball.”

In other words… don’t let your players see a knuckle-ball before facing a pitcher who threw something like 3 fastballs (all to the pitcher) in the first 4-5 innings… great tactic!

18. yahmule - May 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Dusty Baker has many theories regarding heat.

“It’s easier for most Latin guys and it’s easier for most minority people because most of us come from heat.”

“You don’t find too many brothers in New Hampshire and Maine and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. … We were brought over here for the heat, right? Isn’t that history? Weren’t we brought over because we could take the heat?”

And he doubled down on that sentiment when questioned further.

“I’m not playing the race card. I’m telling it like it is.”

“What I meant is that blacks and Latins take the heat better than most whites, and whites take the cold better than most blacks and Latins. That’s it, pure and simple. Nothing deeper than that.”

• stlouis1baseball - May 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Wonderful stuff Mule. Thanks for sharing. Now….
      Mental note to copy this stuff on Monday and send to all my Reds loving buddies.
      Thanks man. I got new material!

19. opiedamus - May 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM

@ hfspodcast: get off my main man Willie, he’s THE star from my alma mater still in the show. I had a coach that, actually, followed this strategy to a T. If you got hot and hit 3-4 shots in a row, he’d pull you before you got cold and to save you for the rest of the game. Amazing stuff. I asked him why he thought you’d get cold? He said, “I dunno, just the way it is.”

Dusty might have been hit one too many times in the bean and now has a minor form of Tourette’s. Just blurts out crazy nonsense and then looks at you and says, “what?”

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2562)