May 18, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
Dusty Baker didn’t know the secret handshake needed to get into Yankee Stadium. Fortunately, someone came along who recognized him.
“It’s hard to get in this bad boy,” Baker said Friday before his Reds took on the Yankees. “Some guy asked me today, `Could I help you?’ I was in the front, trying to get in. I said, `Yeah. I’m here for the game.’ He goes, `The gates aren’t open yet.”‘
“I said, `OK, man. I’m the manager,”‘ Baker explained.
“The baseball team.”
“Yeah, what’s your name?”
Nope, try again.
“He didn’t know,” Baker said. “I didn’t wait long. Another guy came over. He recognized me. And this other guy apologized. He said, `I’m sorry, man. He didn’t know.”‘
Baker took the slight delay in stride and entered the park. As for whether all of his players are accounted for, that’s still unclear. Earlier this week, with the Reds taking on the Mets, one of the team’s players, whose identity Baker was unwilling to reveal, ended up taking a cab to Yankee Stadium, instead of Citi Field, prior to a game.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)