Dusty Baker needs a little help getting into Yankee Stadium

May 18, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT

Dusty Baker AP

Dusty Baker didn’t know the secret handshake needed to get into Yankee Stadium. Fortunately, someone came along who recognized him.

“It’s hard to get in this bad boy,” Baker said Friday before his Reds took on the Yankees. “Some guy asked me today, `Could I help you?’ I was in the front, trying to get in. I said, `Yeah. I’m here for the game.’ He goes, `The gates aren’t open yet.”‘

“I said, `OK, man. I’m the manager,”‘ Baker explained.

“Of what?”

“The baseball team.”

“Yeah, what’s your name?”

“Dusty Baker.”

Nope, try again.

“He didn’t know,” Baker said. “I didn’t wait long. Another guy came over. He recognized me. And this other guy apologized. He said, `I’m sorry, man. He didn’t know.”‘

Baker took the slight delay in stride and entered the park. As for whether all of his players are accounted for, that’s still unclear. Earlier this week, with the Reds taking on the Mets, one of the team’s players, whose identity Baker was unwilling to reveal, ended up taking a cab to Yankee Stadium, instead of Citi Field, prior to a game.

1. hiltonandastoria - May 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Now if they could keep him out of the GABP things might start turning around and baseball fans could enjoy watching Chapman every 5th.
    Somehow I know in my heart Rolen will be back at the 4 spot at some point this season

2. genericcommenter - May 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

They knew who he was. They just wanted to keep him away from the pitching staff.

3. jimeejohnson - May 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Good old George Steinbrenner would have either given the guy who refused Dust Baker entry a raise or fired him.

4. xmatt0926x - May 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I stared at the pic of Dusty used above and the thought crossed my mind that however many years I’ve been watching baseball that if you take his baseball cap off and he was in street clothes that I might not recognize him right away either. I might, but I also can see some young kid not having a clue.

5. mybrunoblog - May 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Most of the players enter via the player entrance that is actually under the stadium. Dusty obviously didn’t take the team bus. Very likely the first time he has Visited the new stadium.

6. micker716 - May 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

If he answered “Sparky Anderson” when they asked for his name, he would have have got in.

7. metalhead65 - May 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

to bad for the reds somebody did recognize the reds might have had a chance tonight with somebody else filling out the lineup!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5458)