May 18, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Yesterday was a busy one for Everth Cabrera. Not only did the Padres call him up to take over for the injured Jason Bartlett as their starting shortstop, a judge in Arizona set a June 11 trial date for his assault charge stemming from an alleged domestic violence incident during spring training.
According to the police report Cabrera is accused of “assaulting his wife by hitting her in the face with a closed fist and slamming her head against the wall.”
There was some speculation last week that the Padres had avoided recalling Cabrera from the minors despite his strong performance at Triple-A because of the arrest, but yesterday they overhauled the middle infield by putting Bartlett on the disabled list and releasing second baseman Orlando Hudson.
San Diego has June 11 off, so if Cabrera is still in the majors by then he may not even have to miss a game.
Brent Schrotenboer of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Cabrera has rejected a plea bargain offer from prosecutors and “faces a maximum possible sentence of six months in jail, three years of probation, and a $2,500 fine.”
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 3
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 16
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)