May 18, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Yesterday was a busy one for Everth Cabrera. Not only did the Padres call him up to take over for the injured Jason Bartlett as their starting shortstop, a judge in Arizona set a June 11 trial date for his assault charge stemming from an alleged domestic violence incident during spring training.
According to the police report Cabrera is accused of “assaulting his wife by hitting her in the face with a closed fist and slamming her head against the wall.”
There was some speculation last week that the Padres had avoided recalling Cabrera from the minors despite his strong performance at Triple-A because of the arrest, but yesterday they overhauled the middle infield by putting Bartlett on the disabled list and releasing second baseman Orlando Hudson.
San Diego has June 11 off, so if Cabrera is still in the majors by then he may not even have to miss a game.
Brent Schrotenboer of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Cabrera has rejected a plea bargain offer from prosecutors and “faces a maximum possible sentence of six months in jail, three years of probation, and a $2,500 fine.”
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 49
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)