May 18, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Yesterday was a busy one for Everth Cabrera. Not only did the Padres call him up to take over for the injured Jason Bartlett as their starting shortstop, a judge in Arizona set a June 11 trial date for his assault charge stemming from an alleged domestic violence incident during spring training.
According to the police report Cabrera is accused of “assaulting his wife by hitting her in the face with a closed fist and slamming her head against the wall.”
There was some speculation last week that the Padres had avoided recalling Cabrera from the minors despite his strong performance at Triple-A because of the arrest, but yesterday they overhauled the middle infield by putting Bartlett on the disabled list and releasing second baseman Orlando Hudson.
San Diego has June 11 off, so if Cabrera is still in the majors by then he may not even have to miss a game.
Brent Schrotenboer of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Cabrera has rejected a plea bargain offer from prosecutors and “faces a maximum possible sentence of six months in jail, three years of probation, and a $2,500 fine.”
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 0
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 18
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 27
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 58
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (182)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)