May 18, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Yesterday was a busy one for Everth Cabrera. Not only did the Padres call him up to take over for the injured Jason Bartlett as their starting shortstop, a judge in Arizona set a June 11 trial date for his assault charge stemming from an alleged domestic violence incident during spring training.
According to the police report Cabrera is accused of “assaulting his wife by hitting her in the face with a closed fist and slamming her head against the wall.”
There was some speculation last week that the Padres had avoided recalling Cabrera from the minors despite his strong performance at Triple-A because of the arrest, but yesterday they overhauled the middle infield by putting Bartlett on the disabled list and releasing second baseman Orlando Hudson.
San Diego has June 11 off, so if Cabrera is still in the majors by then he may not even have to miss a game.
Brent Schrotenboer of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Cabrera has rejected a plea bargain offer from prosecutors and “faces a maximum possible sentence of six months in jail, three years of probation, and a $2,500 fine.”
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 12
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)