May 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Allen Craig can’t catch a break.
He missed the first six weeks of the season following November knee surgery, returned to the lineup on fire by hitting .404 with a 1.284 OPS in 12 games … and is now headed back to the disabled list.
Craig strained his hamstring during Wednesday’s game and Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he’ll be placed on the shelf before tonight’s matchup with the Dodgers, which along with Jon Jay being on the DL with a shoulder injury and Carlos Beltran missing the past four games with a knee injury leaves the Cardinals’ outfield very thin.
Last night first baseman/third baseman Matt Carpenter started in the outfield for just the second time in his entire professional career, majors or minors, and manager Mike Matheny went with 27-year-old career minor leaguer Shane Robinson in center field.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)