May 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Allen Craig can’t catch a break.
He missed the first six weeks of the season following November knee surgery, returned to the lineup on fire by hitting .404 with a 1.284 OPS in 12 games … and is now headed back to the disabled list.
Craig strained his hamstring during Wednesday’s game and Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he’ll be placed on the shelf before tonight’s matchup with the Dodgers, which along with Jon Jay being on the DL with a shoulder injury and Carlos Beltran missing the past four games with a knee injury leaves the Cardinals’ outfield very thin.
Last night first baseman/third baseman Matt Carpenter started in the outfield for just the second time in his entire professional career, majors or minors, and manager Mike Matheny went with 27-year-old career minor leaguer Shane Robinson in center field.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)