May 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Allen Craig can’t catch a break.
He missed the first six weeks of the season following November knee surgery, returned to the lineup on fire by hitting .404 with a 1.284 OPS in 12 games … and is now headed back to the disabled list.
Craig strained his hamstring during Wednesday’s game and Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he’ll be placed on the shelf before tonight’s matchup with the Dodgers, which along with Jon Jay being on the DL with a shoulder injury and Carlos Beltran missing the past four games with a knee injury leaves the Cardinals’ outfield very thin.
Last night first baseman/third baseman Matt Carpenter started in the outfield for just the second time in his entire professional career, majors or minors, and manager Mike Matheny went with 27-year-old career minor leaguer Shane Robinson in center field.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)