May 18, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for that. Justin Verlander‘s no-hit bid was broken up on a single by Josh Harrison with one out in the ninth. Harrison just stuck his bat out and the ball just managed to eek past the outstretched glove of shortstop Jhonny Peralta.
Verlander was given a rousing ovation by the Comerica Park crowd for his efforts before settling down to get Neil Walker and Andrew McCutchen on ground outs to end it. He ended up settling for a complete game one-hitter as part of a 6-0 victory. The Detroit ace is now 5-1 on the year with a 2.14 ERA and 68/14 K/BB ratio over 67 1/3 innings.
9:13 PM: The no-no is still intact after Verlander struck out out the side in a dominant eighth inning. He got Casey McGehee looking and Nate McLouth and Clint Barmes swinging, giving him 12 strikeouts on the night. He’s still bringing high-90s heat consistently and even hit 100 mph in the inning according to the TV gun. Absurd.
He’s slated to face Michael McKenry, Josh Harrison and Neil Walker in the ninth.
8:59 PM: We could be witnessing a little bit of history tonight in Detroit.
Justin Verlander, who already has two career no-hitters, has yet to allow a hit over his first seven innings of work against the Pirates.
Verlander has issued two walks on the night, including Neil Walker in the first and Andrew McCutchen in the seventh. He has nine strikeouts, including a nasty breaking ball that which caught Garrett Jones looking to end the seventh and stranded McCutchen at second base. His pitch count is at 82, so he’s probably going the distance in this thing no matter what. The Tigers currently have a 4-0 lead.
Verlander is slated to face Casey McGehee, Nate McLouth and Clint Barmes in the eighth. If he can complete the feat, he’ll join Cy Young, Bob Feller and Larry Corcoran with three career no-hitters. Sandy Koufax had four and Nolan Ryan had seven.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)