May 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Konerko had homered off Samardzija in the first inning, but based on Samardzija’s reaction, it probably wasn’t a purpose pitch. He walked to the plate to check on Konerko. He’s been excellent this year, but he does have some past control issues. I have no idea where on the Old School Baseball scale to place any of this at the moment.
After that it got somewhat weird: Samardzija came to bat the next inning, but White Sox pitcher Phil Humber didn’t throw at him. He did, however, throw at Bryan LaHair. After that warnings were issued. If there was intent and retaliation afoot, don’t you throw at the pitcher? All of those Old School guys always say that the DH is bad because the pitcher can throw at someone with impunity. That implies that the pitcher should be the target, yes, not the other team’s slugger? All so confusing!
Anyway, Konerko left the field under his own power, but we’re still awaiting word on his condition. We’ll update when we hear something.
UPDATE: The Cubs and White Sox beat writers are tweeting that Konerko has a laceration above left eye and some swelling. He’s undergoing tests.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 9
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 14
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 48
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)