May 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Konerko had homered off Samardzija in the first inning, but based on Samardzija’s reaction, it probably wasn’t a purpose pitch. He walked to the plate to check on Konerko. He’s been excellent this year, but he does have some past control issues. I have no idea where on the Old School Baseball scale to place any of this at the moment.
After that it got somewhat weird: Samardzija came to bat the next inning, but White Sox pitcher Phil Humber didn’t throw at him. He did, however, throw at Bryan LaHair. After that warnings were issued. If there was intent and retaliation afoot, don’t you throw at the pitcher? All of those Old School guys always say that the DH is bad because the pitcher can throw at someone with impunity. That implies that the pitcher should be the target, yes, not the other team’s slugger? All so confusing!
Anyway, Konerko left the field under his own power, but we’re still awaiting word on his condition. We’ll update when we hear something.
UPDATE: The Cubs and White Sox beat writers are tweeting that Konerko has a laceration above left eye and some swelling. He’s undergoing tests.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)