May 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Konerko had homered off Samardzija in the first inning, but based on Samardzija’s reaction, it probably wasn’t a purpose pitch. He walked to the plate to check on Konerko. He’s been excellent this year, but he does have some past control issues. I have no idea where on the Old School Baseball scale to place any of this at the moment.
After that it got somewhat weird: Samardzija came to bat the next inning, but White Sox pitcher Phil Humber didn’t throw at him. He did, however, throw at Bryan LaHair. After that warnings were issued. If there was intent and retaliation afoot, don’t you throw at the pitcher? All of those Old School guys always say that the DH is bad because the pitcher can throw at someone with impunity. That implies that the pitcher should be the target, yes, not the other team’s slugger? All so confusing!
Anyway, Konerko left the field under his own power, but we’re still awaiting word on his condition. We’ll update when we hear something.
UPDATE: The Cubs and White Sox beat writers are tweeting that Konerko has a laceration above left eye and some swelling. He’s undergoing tests.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)