May 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Konerko had homered off Samardzija in the first inning, but based on Samardzija’s reaction, it probably wasn’t a purpose pitch. He walked to the plate to check on Konerko. He’s been excellent this year, but he does have some past control issues. I have no idea where on the Old School Baseball scale to place any of this at the moment.
After that it got somewhat weird: Samardzija came to bat the next inning, but White Sox pitcher Phil Humber didn’t throw at him. He did, however, throw at Bryan LaHair. After that warnings were issued. If there was intent and retaliation afoot, don’t you throw at the pitcher? All of those Old School guys always say that the DH is bad because the pitcher can throw at someone with impunity. That implies that the pitcher should be the target, yes, not the other team’s slugger? All so confusing!
Anyway, Konerko left the field under his own power, but we’re still awaiting word on his condition. We’ll update when we hear something.
UPDATE: The Cubs and White Sox beat writers are tweeting that Konerko has a laceration above left eye and some swelling. He’s undergoing tests.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)