Paul Konerko exits the game after being beaned in the face

May 18, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

konerko fenway Getty Images

Paul Konerko left today’s game against the Cubs when, in the third inning, he was hit in the face by a Jeff Samardzija pitch.

Konerko had homered off Samardzija in the first inning, but based on Samardzija’s reaction, it probably wasn’t a purpose pitch. He walked to the plate to check on Konerko. He’s been excellent this year, but he does have some past control issues.  I have no idea where on the Old School Baseball scale to place any of this at the moment.

After that it got somewhat weird: Samardzija came to bat the next inning, but White Sox pitcher Phil Humber didn’t throw at him.  He did, however, throw at Bryan LaHair. After that warnings were issued. If there was intent and retaliation afoot, don’t you throw at the pitcher? All of those Old School guys always say that the DH is bad because the pitcher can throw at someone with impunity. That implies that the pitcher should be the target, yes, not the other team’s slugger?  All so confusing!

Anyway, Konerko left the field under his own power, but we’re still awaiting word on his condition. We’ll update when we hear something.

UPDATE:  The Cubs and White Sox beat writers are tweeting that Konerko has a laceration above left eye and some swelling. He’s undergoing tests.

1. number42is1 - May 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Video?

• hiltonandastoria - May 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Here ya go

• ezthinking - May 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM

It’s a backup slider on a 2-2 pitch, 85 mph. Not good for Paulie though.

2. darthicarus - May 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Cole Hamels did a mini-fist pump when he heard this.

3. diehardcubbiefan4life - May 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Aw geez, my heart stopped when I saw this, I really hope he’s going to be alright

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, it looked bad. I don’t think Jeff meant that at all. Feel better, Paulie.

4. petey1999 - May 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Humber obviously doesn’t know the NL retaliation rules.

5. The Dangerous Mabry - May 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I’m pretty sure the old-school player would be the one who got up from being hit in the face and rubbed some dirt on it, pummeled the pitcher into submission, then took his place on first base, all the while daring the umpires to eject him for what he’d done. Somewhere in there he’d smoke a cigarette, drink some whiskey, and make love to a woman, but I’m not quite sure on the order of events.

• nflfollower - May 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Or if it was like Ty Cobb before numbers on uniforms old school, he may have climbed into the stands, beat up a fan, then organized and created the players union to fight any possible suspension for such an understandable and justifiable act. That’s actually a true Ty Cobb story.

6. Jonny 5 - May 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I hope Konerko is fine. And I just wanted to say that Jeff Samardzija here WAS very involved in a beanball battle with the Bravos very recently. Not saying anything besides he has thrown purpose pitches at other players quite recently. I hope it was by accident.

• strikeoutlookin - May 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM

He Hit Freddy Freeman on purpose after Freeman hit a homer earlier in the game…. Cant be coincidence….

• baseballisboring - May 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM

It was Heyward actually. That one was definitely on purpose. This one I don’t know, and it seems ridiculous that someone would just try to bean guys who hit homeruns off him, so let’s hope it was an accident. Pretty suspicious though…

7. l0yalr0yal - May 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I don’t know how media works, but I’m listening to the game broadcast, and you had the update on the injury eleven minutes before the broadcast does. I’d like to think you are like those two guys on the AT&T 4G commercial…

Do you guys know how to post videos to… facebook?

8. largebill - May 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

And that shows the difference between a Hit By Pitch and a Base on Balls. A player HBP can be replaced with a pinch runner from home plate since it is a dead ball. However, say a player draws a walks and steps funny out of batter’s box breaking his ankle he still needs to crawl to 1B before getting replaced as it is a live ball situation.

• anotheryx - May 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Have to thumb down this because your totally correct (I assume) explanation pisses me off somehow.

• jwbiii - May 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM

The correct solution for this conundrum.

9. hiltonandastoria - May 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM

• The Dangerous Mabry - May 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Man, that was awful. You hate to see a guy get hurt like that.

And further, I know I’m going to hell, because all I could think was “So THAT’s why it’s called a cutter…”

10. lowerydaniel - May 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

just as Harold explained I didn’t even know that a person able to profit $5379 in four weeks on the computer. did you look at this website (Click on menu Home more information) http://goo.gl/xgcvI

• kopy - May 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I don’t trust Harold.

11. kopy - May 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Serves Konerko right for making a good play. Old school baseball, ya’ll.

12. aprindi - May 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Samardzija threw up and in on Alexei Ramirez and one other player (I forget who – Rios?) that had turn out of the way before throwing up and into Paulie’s face. I’d say he was determined to hit someone at some point. Paulie is not one of those players that does not stand on top of the plate, so that ball had to travel to hit him.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5384)