May 18, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
It was already well established that Duffy was going down this path. Wood, a 26-year-old right-hander, had been on the DL since the start of the season with what the team was calling right nerve irritation. It’s not exactly a stunning revelation that his injury turned out to be something more, but Tommy John is still a disappointing development. Wood had a 3.75 ERA in 69 2/3 innings out of the pen for Kansas City last year.
Since Wood is a reliever, he’ll have a better chance of making it back and contributing for the Royals in 2013. Duffy will likely be back pitching in games by next June or July as well, but he’s unlikely to be much of an asset for the team before 2014.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (164)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (133)