May 18, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
It was already well established that Duffy was going down this path. Wood, a 26-year-old right-hander, had been on the DL since the start of the season with what the team was calling right nerve irritation. It’s not exactly a stunning revelation that his injury turned out to be something more, but Tommy John is still a disappointing development. Wood had a 3.75 ERA in 69 2/3 innings out of the pen for Kansas City last year.
Since Wood is a reliever, he’ll have a better chance of making it back and contributing for the Royals in 2013. Duffy will likely be back pitching in games by next June or July as well, but he’s unlikely to be much of an asset for the team before 2014.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (365)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (98)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (82)