May 18, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Umpire Eric Cooper seems to think it’s legal to physically knock someone off the bag. There’s no other way to look at this play, which resulted on the Cubs’ David DeJesus being called out after his double Friday against the White Sox.
White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham obviously knocked DeJesus off the bag. It was more an accident than anything intentional, but it certainly shouldn’t have been ruled an out, not unless we want all of our infielders launching themselves into baserunners going forward.
Cooper didn’t seem interested in getting help from any of the other umpires on the play, and an angry Dale Sveum was ejected for arguing afterwards. The White Sox went on to win the game 3-2.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 4
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 113
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 25
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39