May 18, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Umpire Eric Cooper seems to think it’s legal to physically knock someone off the bag. There’s no other way to look at this play, which resulted on the Cubs’ David DeJesus being called out after his double Friday against the White Sox.
White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham obviously knocked DeJesus off the bag. It was more an accident than anything intentional, but it certainly shouldn’t have been ruled an out, not unless we want all of our infielders launching themselves into baserunners going forward.
Cooper didn’t seem interested in getting help from any of the other umpires on the play, and an angry Dale Sveum was ejected for arguing afterwards. The White Sox went on to win the game 3-2.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)