May 18, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Umpire Eric Cooper seems to think it’s legal to physically knock someone off the bag. There’s no other way to look at this play, which resulted on the Cubs’ David DeJesus being called out after his double Friday against the White Sox.
White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham obviously knocked DeJesus off the bag. It was more an accident than anything intentional, but it certainly shouldn’t have been ruled an out, not unless we want all of our infielders launching themselves into baserunners going forward.
Cooper didn’t seem interested in getting help from any of the other umpires on the play, and an angry Dale Sveum was ejected for arguing afterwards. The White Sox went on to win the game 3-2.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 6
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 31
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 32
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 109
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (110)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)