See Gordon Beckham’s tackle and Dale Sveum’s ejection

May 18, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT

Gordon Beckham, David DeJesus

Umpire Eric Cooper seems to think it’s legal to physically knock someone off the bag. There’s no other way to look at this play, which resulted on the Cubs’ David DeJesus being called out after his double Friday against the White Sox.

White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham obviously knocked DeJesus off the bag. It was more an accident than anything intentional, but it certainly shouldn’t have been ruled an out, not unless we want all of our infielders launching themselves into baserunners going forward.

Cooper didn’t seem interested in getting help from any of the other umpires on the play, and an angry Dale Sveum was ejected for arguing afterwards. The White Sox went on to win the game 3-2.

1. cursedvikingfan - May 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Are the White Sox announcers not the worst in baseball? Love how they tried to blame that play on DeJesus and his “late slide”. I’ve heard of being objective but come on!

• ezthinking - May 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM

This is why you have to love the WS announcers; they’re blatant homers. No illusions of who they’re there for and how they see the game. They watch as fans. Awesome, just don’t let kids think their ‘analysis’ is a teaching tool.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Other than the HR calls I can’t stand listening to them.

• brewcrewfan54 - May 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM

ThoSe guys are awful. Its one thing to be a homer but its another when they blatantly see something that didn’t happen because of that homerism.

• js20011041 - May 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I guess it all depends on what you want to hear. Personally, if I wanted to listen to a couple of fans call the game, I can go to a sports bar and watch the game with any schmuck. I would rather possibly get a little insight. Harrelson is god awful and unfortunately, it seems like whoever his partner is, is required by the network to adopt his bullshit antics as well. It’s a shame. I thought Steve Stone was actually really good back when he did Cubs games with Harry Carray.

• jwbiii - May 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Yes, they are.

2. isu1648 - May 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM

This is also a brilliant showcase of the complete incompetence of the White Sox broadcast team. Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone are seriously in their own freaking world when they watch these games. Not only do they ignore every kind of professionalism and tact while calling the game, they also ignore the freaking rules of the game.

• nonmendacium - May 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM

which rule did they ignore in this case? citation please. thanks.

• paperlions - May 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Um…the rule that states a fielder can not physically remove a base runner from a base and be rewarded an out as a result.

• rmcd13 - May 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I took nonmendacium up on his question. What is the rule that paperlions refers to? It’s common knowledge that you can’t push a baserunner off a base in order to call them out, right? The funny thing is, I’ve been looking through the official rule book and I can’t find a rule that says this. Maybe I’ve overlooked it, though, so somebody help me out.

Here’s what I’ve found:
        2.00 Interference (b) Defensive interference is an act by a fielder that hinders or prevents a batter from hitting a pitch.
        Doesn’t apply here.

2.00 OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
        Also doesn’t apply here because the fielder has possession of the ball!

I can’t find anything that says that it is illegal to push runners off the base. Help me find it!

• 1920gsh - May 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I believe it is implied by 7.01.

• jwbiii - May 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM

7.06 When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal “Obstruction.”
        (a) If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batter-runner is obstructed before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgment, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction.

This is all about obstructing a runner before he reaches a base. Doesn’t say a thing about knocking off the base and then tagging him. Or lifting his foot off the base and then tagging him (as I am sure our Cardinal fan friends will remember).

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Stone used to be a phenomenal announcer. Such a shame.

• stac266 - May 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I was honestly thinking the same thing. I used to love hearing his broadcasts. He’s gotten so biased. I would love to call games but I know I’d always root for my team.

3. seanthegreatest - May 18, 2012 at 5:56 PM

“No one f@cks with DeJesus”

• bigleagues - May 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM

So pissed that someone beat me to this line!

Well played!

4. Charles Gates - May 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

That was hard nosed, old school baseball.

5. ezthinking - May 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Good play Gordon.

Signed,

Kent Hrbek.

6. xpensivewinos - May 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM

It’s a joke that MLB allows those worthless sacks of garbage to announce the White Sox games.

Two blind pigs would do a better job.

7. natsattack - May 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM

2 blind pigs could do a better job!?
    You sir, are crazy.
    No one would be able to tell the difference between them in the first place!

8. biasedhomer - May 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Worst broadcasters ever.

9. stabonerichard - May 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

My uncle has seen Hawk buck naked.

10. planck16 - May 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Great Play!

Sincerely,

Kent Hrbek

• Cris E - May 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Dude, it was kind of funny the first time, but this is too much.

Give it a rest.

Sincerely,
      Ron Gant

11. nofunleague - May 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Does anyone who knows baseball really need announcers? Turn down the sound on these clowns.

• derklempner - May 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM

“…and you can watch the game on mute…. YES!”

12. stevem7 - May 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Let us hope that Torre gets around Selig again and suspends this umpire for failure to know the rules.

• The Baseball Idiot - May 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Lets hope HBT suspends you for not knowing the rules. Because you don’t. The rules aren’t what you think they should be.

13. brewcitybummer - May 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I recently subscribed to mlb.tv and this is what I’ve learned:

The white sox announcers are terrible
    the twins announcers think they are calling golf
    Vin Scully is awesome
    and the nationals have a 14 year old boy calling games

And oh yea, mlb.tv is a glitchy F@%&ing ripoff

• leerosenthall - May 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM

You, sir, are my personal hero for *all* of those comments. Also, try using Google Chrome for MLB.tv. That’s the best suggestion I could get from those rocket scientists who run their site. Not perfect but FAR better than Explorer or Firefox.

And I’m sure, as a Phillies fan, my house will be firebombed for making this comment, but I think after Vin Scully the Mets announcers are the best of the bunch.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3644)