May 18, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
Lots of Roy Oswalt stuff today:
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Oswalt threw for the Phillies and Red Sox recently. He says Oswalt is throwing for two other teams — mystery teams! — too. Jon Heyman is saying that Oswalt expects to be back in the bigs within a month. His CBS colleague Scott Miller says that he wants to pitch by June, but “only for team with good chance at World Series.”
Meanwhile, Matt Gelb of the Philly Inquirer tweeted this in response to all of that:
Fair warning: Be extremely skeptical of any information leaked regarding Roy Oswalt.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) May 18, 2012
But … why? In response to a question from our old friend Halladay’s Biceps on Twitter, Gelb suggested that this could be Oswalt’s agent spreading baloney in an effort to drive up Oswalt’s price, saying “he has done it many times before.” Which, yes, I have heard too.
Roy Oswalt: a riddle, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped up in some camouflage pants and probably sitting in a field in Illinois or Texas or something right now, wondering where all of this noise is coming from.
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 38
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 24
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 43
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 25
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)